Search for content in message boards

tale of GreatGrandmothers from Austria?

Replies: 19

tale of GreatGrandmothers from Austria?

Posted: 22 May 2013 4:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Well, I am on my search to try to uncover the mystery on my Mother's side of the family which seems to indicate that three, yes three Great Grandmothers were potentially from Austria, but have no way to know how to investigate further than what I know. How does my tree have three Great Grandmothers on my Mother's side?

Well, of course only two Great Grandmothers are in direct line to me. To start with, my Great Grandfather David Melamed married twice. First he married Rose Braunfeld (Austrian name?) that produced my Grandmother and another sibling. He then married Malhe in the United States after coming here and changed both their last names to Goldberg. Three Children were born from them. They listed all 5 children in the census as living under their roof and all from Austrian mother. The problem for me is that I am directly related to Rose Braunfeld and for what ever reason she never came to the United States. However, one sibling (my Grandmother) under Rose and David was born in Warsaw Poland (1902). Is this a check under Poland/Russia or a check with Austria for records relating to Rose Braunfeld? How does one check further for Austrian records?

The other Great Grandmother (on my Grandfather's side) is Bella Ashenfarb who I believe Married Isaac Opal - the Opal family that established the Hotel Opal in France. Since Isaac and his brother and other members of the family were killed in WWII or sent to concentration camps or something else, I'm not too sure how to check on Bella Ashenfarb as it relates to her supposed Austrian roots. Bella and Isaace gave birth to David Opal, my Grandfather. The name Opal most likely was changed/shortened to make sound more French appealing most likely from Opaletsky or Opalinsky or something like that.

Any info would be appreciated. I may start a new thread in the French section regarding the Opal side of the family.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DavidSchwartz... 22 May 2013 10:44PM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 23 May 2013 3:34AM GMT 
DavidSchwartz... 23 May 2013 10:21PM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 24 May 2013 12:44AM GMT 
DavidSchwartz... 25 May 2013 10:40PM GMT 
Robert Jerin 24 May 2013 11:17AM GMT 
DavidSchwartz... 25 May 2013 11:13PM GMT 
EileenWilson0... 27 May 2013 1:31PM GMT 
EileenWilson0... 27 May 2013 1:48PM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 27 May 2013 2:17PM GMT 
per page