Search for content in message boards

stalec

Replies: 1

Re: stalec

Posted: 25 May 2013 6:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
The surname occurs today in southern Poland spelled as you have it. It is probably derived from the word for steady, permanent. This map shows its distribution today:

http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/stalec.html

The Ellis Island records site shows a couple of dozen people with the surname; the most common place of origin for the new arrivals seems to have been Jastrzabka, That place is likely one of these:

"Jastrząbka Nowa

Jastrzabka Nowa, village to the north-east of Tarnow, north of the Arc. Karol Ludwik railroad, at a level of 259 m. above sea level., in the Tarnow county, belongs to the Roman Catholic parish of Lisia Gora and has 589 Roman Catholic residents. The major estate (Ludwik Neumann) has area of 275 m. of field, 67 m. of meadow and garden, 30 m. of pasture and 1220 m. of forest; the minor estate has 739 m. of field, 158 m. of meadow and garden, 63 m. pasture and 43 m. forest. The soil is loamy and the forests are pine.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1882

Submitted and translated by James Czuchra, Chicago, IL. Jan. 2001

Top of Page


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jastrzabka, Mloda and Stara

Jastrzabka Mloda and Stara, villages in the Lomza county, in the "township" and parish of Sniadowo. In 1827, Jastrzabka loda had 29 houses, 130 residents and Jastrzabka Stara had 12 houses and 70 residents. Br. Ch.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1882

Submitted and translated by James Czuchra, Chicago, IL. Jan. 2001

Top of Page


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jastrząbka Stara

Jastrzabka Stara, village in the Pilzno county, to the east Jastrzabka Nowa, at the source of the Dabrowka River, has a Roman Catholic parish, one class public school, municipal lending institution with capital of 800 zloty and a poor fund created by Father Radziwill in 1665 consisting of 5 mr. of field. The spacious brick church was built in 1794 on the site of the former wooden one of unknown foundation, wherein certificates of baptism from 1645 are kept. The village belongs at the present to the Jew, M. Gorlitzera and has 1764 Roman Catholics and 152 Jewish residents. The major estate has area of 815 m. of field, 95 m. of meadow and garden, 17 m. of pasture and 740 m. of forest; the minor estate has 1766 m. of field, 263 m. of meadow and garden, 172 m. of pasture and 88 m. of forest. Soil of rye, pine forests. Mac.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1882

Submitted and translated by James Czuchra, Chicago, IL. Jan. 2001"
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
combsc73 23 May 2013 11:41AM GMT 
marksabol21 25 May 2013 12:38PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

  • Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions