Search for content in message boards

Margarita "Gretchen" Gager

Replies: 28

Re: Margarita "Gretchen" Gager

Posted: 5 Sep 2013 11:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
You say you "have verified" most of what she said, but on 14/8 you say "Most of the info I have on her comes from news articles, which only vague estimates can be derived from." This is hardly verification. I did read that you had said she was "the first woman in Europe to qualify in medicine and to practice abroad". You actually said "permitted to practice abroad" - what exactly does this mean? Where is "abroad"? Who was "permitting"? There is not, and never was, any sovereign unit called "Europe". IF she qualified in medicine anywhere in Europe she would have been free to practice anywhere that accepted her qualifications. The first two woman to practice as doctors in Germany, qualified in Switzerland, Elizabeth Garret-Anderson obtained her MD at the Sorbonne. You say she went in the US in 1910,. but you quote a paper dated 1919 which says she had been in the States for 12 years, that would mean she went to the States in 1907. This would indicate that she built up her fame as a physician and surgeon after getting there, so she must have been licensed to practice by whichever state she was in. That should be a matter of simple record. As she quite obviously was very busy during the war years trying to get into the Army, she must have done all the other things in an absolute maximum of 7 years, according to you as little as four, i.e. she built up fame as a physician and surgeon, trained as an opera singer, gave concerts in Milan, Vienna etc., and went big-game hunting all in those few years? You may have exceptional relatives but that would be ein richtiges Wunderkind. For the big game hunting it would have taken several months of travelling just to get there. Crocs in the Congo, lions in Africa?. The Congo IS in Africa - and not a place to go for big-game hunting. It would have taken a minimum of six weeks, each way even to get to Cape Town if she was going up-country from there and considerably longer if she went to Mombasa to get into East Africa. And she went to Australia, Antarctica as well? You claim she was studying in Vienna when she was married to a Swiss Count. It is more than 700kms from Ticino to Vienna, so how was she living in Switzerland and studying in Vienna? In addition it is highly unlikely she was married to a Swiss count for the very simple reason that the Swiss Confederation has never had an aristocracy and Mohnbauer confirms that the Stoeffels in the silk industry were not aristocracy.. She is said to have claimed her first marriage broke down because a woman "educated in leading universities" was not prepared to kow-tow to German aristocracy. She was supposedly born in 1874 and had a child in 1896 - i.e. when she was 22 years old so she must have been married at 20-21. She would never have been at any university before she married. There is also a claim that she had trouble with the German government taking her property after her Swiss husband died. If he was Swiss, aristocracy or not, his estate would have nothing whatsoever to do with the German government. Another oddity is the claim that her "son" claimed his next-of-kin were Hugo and Villa Stammer - who were they, surely his mother was his next-of-kin? and he lived in Straussberg, Germany. There is no place called Straussberg in Germany. There is a Strassburg I believe, in Kaernten (Carinthia) in Austria, but if he came from there he would have been Austrian and would have been in the Austro-Hungarian Army, not the German. Strassburg is also the German spelling for Strasbourg in Alsace-Lorraine ( German, Elsaess-Lothringen) but if he came from there in 1924 he would have had to be a French citizen. Germany grabbed Alsace after the Franco-Prussian war of 1870 and it was given back to the French under the Treaty of Versailles. All citizens had to take French nationality or go back to Germany - and I do not think it would have been a place where a German officer would have been welcome. Finally you claim to have verified evidence of his birth to an aristocratic father in Todtmoos. Why not write to Landkreis Waldshut where they have the Kreisarchiv -(District Archives).. The address is Landratsamt Waldshut, Kaiserstrasse 110, 79761, Waldshut-Tiengen. It is not true that all Europeans speak perfect English, but I am sure if you write in English and say you are trying to trace Graf Fischer and tell them the details of the son's birth there will be someone who will understand, and if they reply in German it is not difficult to find someone who would translate it. If there was such a family, they should surely know. I still have my doubts, but, as said, if you prove me wrong, I shall apologise. Oh yes, Mary Edwards Walker, the second female graduate, 1855, from Syracuse Medical College served as the first female surgeon in the US Army in 1863 and was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honour for her work as an Army Surgeon in 1865. In 1917 a bunch of MCPs tried to revoke the honour on the grounds that she had not actually served at the front, only in hospitals behind the lines, but she refused to return it - bully for her! - but it was fully re-instated by Jimmy Carter in1977!! Perhaps Congress had some other reason for turning down this lady? I look forward to the final answers to this puzzle.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
halpark 5 Sep 2013 5:42PM GMT 
audiorij 5 Sep 2013 5:52PM GMT 
Mohnbauer 7 Apr 2014 3:33PM GMT 
audiorij 7 Apr 2014 4:55PM GMT 
Mohnbauer 7 Apr 2014 5:32PM GMT 
Mohnbauer 7 Apr 2014 6:53PM GMT 
halpark 8 Apr 2014 4:46PM GMT 
Mohnbauer 9 Apr 2014 10:55AM GMT 
Mohnbauer 9 Apr 2014 12:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions