Search for content in message boards

Jozef Cunderla b. 1868 d. 1940(USA)

Replies: 5

Jozef Cunderla b. 1868 d. 1940(USA)

Tami McKenzie (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 2000 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cundrla, Cunderla, Kurila, Kruila
Jozef Cundrla and his wife, Elizabeth A. Kurila-Cundrla are my great-grandparents. Their son, my grandfather Frank Joseph Sundrla, died in 1974 (was six years old). No one in our family (still living) know much about them. I flew back to Michigan last week 6-07-00 for a death in the family and had an opportunity to meet my great-uncle Joe Sundrla (my grandfather's brother). My great uncle is 92 yrs. and doesn't have all "the Facts" about his parents anymore(although he did tell me some wonderful stories that no data base could ever tell me).
This what I know for sure...the spelling of the last name was altered to SUNDRLA but a school teacher my great uncle Joe had, she didn't like the little "things" above the vowels. I have found it two different ways noted above, but neither is correct for "the old country". I also know that my great grandpa Jozef came to the U.S. through Ellis Island (according to my uncle) approximately 1899. He was traveling with a nephew Ver (Uncle Joe doesn't remember who to spell Ver???). My great grandmother Elizabeth Kurila-Cunderla would have followed after 1899 (she was b. 1882).
The only thing we know about their life in Austria is that my great grandpa Jozef's Mother worked for a Jewish family before the Great War, as uncle Joe calls it, WWI; story has it she was arrested for stealing a slice of bread while cleaning up after the family's dinner one night. I don't know her name, other her married name, Cunderla(?), she got 30 days in jail for the theft. My uncle also mentioned his parents would talk about dances they would go to in Austia, 20 miles outside of Vienna, is either were they lived, or where the dances were, he wasn't sure. If it's any help both my grandfather and great uncle were born in the U.S. somewhere in Pennsylvania, but it's the roots back to Austria I am trying to find. Also, my family is split, some say Elizabeth was from Austria, others say from Chez.
Thank you for any assistance you may have or find. Look forward to any information you find, thank you again!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Tami McKenzie 18 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Patty Sundrla/Johnston 18 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Patty Sundrla/Johnston 22 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT 
ajt52 23 Nov 2012 12:14AM GMT 
Robert Jerin 23 Nov 2012 7:52PM GMT 
ajt52 4 Jan 2013 5:17AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions