Search for content in message boards

Valentine Peternell, Leoben Austria m. Maria Berktold, Innsbruck >>

Replies: 4

Re: Valentine Peternell, Leoben Austria m. Maria Berktold, Innsbruck >>

Posted: 1 Jun 2005 4:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Carole,

some of the names you mention could've become distorted during transcription and/or americanization.

Valentine in Austria was/is a female first name, his name probably was Valentin (quite common).

Berktold (to my surprise) is a common Austrian surname still today, frequently in Tyrol (and therefore also Innsbruck). More common btw is Berchtold, which could get changed into Berktold by way of a phonetical transription. But you better stick with Berktold first which might indeed be the original name.

For Valentin(e) Peternell's family I would email the diocesan archives in Graz, that hold duplicates of the parish records starting with about 1835.

Dr. Norbert Allmer

The Tyrolian churchbook records are kept on microfilm at the Tyrol Provincial Archives. Problem with Innsbruck could be - there are/were several different parishes, and I have no idea how the materials are ordered, indexed etc.

You may want to email them at and ask how you may gain access to your data. Either they'll have a look themselves and copy the records you need, or they can specify a local genealogist who does such research.

Hope this helps
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
CSG93 17 Apr 2005 4:12PM GMT 
TilmanB 1 Jun 2005 10:25AM GMT 
Carole Grant 1 Jun 2005 1:03PM GMT 
TilmanB 1 Jun 2005 4:21PM GMT 
berktoldmax 1 Dec 2012 12:56AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic