Search for content in message boards

Valentine Peternell, Leoben Austria m. Maria Berktold, Innsbruck >>

Replies: 4

Re: Valentine Peternell, Leoben Austria m. Maria Berktold, Innsbruck >>

Posted: 1 Jun 2005 4:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Carole,

some of the names you mention could've become distorted during transcription and/or americanization.

Valentine in Austria was/is a female first name, his name probably was Valentin (quite common).

Berktold (to my surprise) is a common Austrian surname still today, frequently in Tyrol (and therefore also Innsbruck). More common btw is Berchtold, which could get changed into Berktold by way of a phonetical transription. But you better stick with Berktold first which might indeed be the original name.

For Valentin(e) Peternell's family I would email the diocesan archives in Graz, that hold duplicates of the parish records starting with about 1835.

Dr. Norbert Allmer
archiv@kath-kirche-graz.at

The Tyrolian churchbook records are kept on microfilm at the Tyrol Provincial Archives. Problem with Innsbruck could be - there are/were several different parishes, and I have no idea how the materials are ordered, indexed etc.

You may want to email them at landesarchiv@tirol.gv.at and ask how you may gain access to your data. Either they'll have a look themselves and copy the records you need, or they can specify a local genealogist who does such research.

Hope this helps
Tilman
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
CSG93 17 Apr 2005 4:12PM GMT 
TilmanB 1 Jun 2005 10:25AM GMT 
Carole Grant 1 Jun 2005 1:03PM GMT 
TilmanB 1 Jun 2005 4:21PM GMT 
berktoldmax 1 Dec 2012 12:56AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions