Search for content in message boards

Weber/Ehrenhofer Preininger/Urban Austria/Hungary

Replies: 7

Re: Weber/Ehrenhofer Preininger/Urban Austria/Hungary

Posted: 23 Aug 2006 8:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Well, www.ellisislandrecords.org shows a number of promising records for you.

1. Samuel Weber of Neustift, age 17, arrived in 1907. His father is listed as Franz Weber in Neustift. Samuel was born in Neustift. He went to join his brother Joseph Weber in Allentown, PA.

Neustift is likely the place with this name near Güssing, today in Burgenland, Austria. Lutherans attended church in nearby Kukmirn (called Kukmér when it was still in Hungary), which may be the place you are reading in the draft record.

2. Maria Ehrenhöfer, age 18, arrived in 1909. Her father is listed as Josef Ehrenhöfer in Alsóröndök, which seems to be a misspelling for Alsórönök (German name Unterradling). Maria went to meet brother-in-law Stefan Mark in McKees Rocks in Pennsylvania.

Alsórönök is still in Hungary today, but lies actually very close to Neustift bei Güssing.

3. An almost fitting Franz Preininger arrived in 1902, age 18. He hailed from St. Martin. In the context of the ship manifest, this St. Martin is likely the one called St. Martin an der Raab, quite close to Alsórönök and Neustift. I have no idea why the transcription of the Ellis Island record calls the ethnicity of Franz Slovak. It looks like out of the blue to me.

4. There is a record of a Cecilia Urban, age 18, who arrived from Raabfidisch (Rábafüzes) in 1900. Rábafüzes is still in Hungary today and lies very close to Alsórönök. My grandfather started his career as a teacher in about 1913 in Rábafüzes.

If these records look like your family, I recommend that you connect with the web site of ther Burgenland Bunch at http://www.burgenland-bunch.org/homepage.htm . You could also try to search parish records available from LDS (the Mormons), though only through LDS Libraries.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
hopeweb 23 Aug 2006 9:47PM GMT 
EileenWilson0... 23 Aug 2006 10:47PM GMT 
hopeweb 24 Aug 2006 4:50AM GMT 
fritzkoe 24 Aug 2006 2:13AM GMT 
Hope 24 Aug 2006 4:42AM GMT 
nanhetaz 9 Nov 2007 10:48PM GMT 
ShirleySloan1... 7 Jun 2013 3:04PM GMT 
nanhetaz 9 Nov 2007 10:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic