Search for content in message boards

Capp Family

Replies: 29

Re: Capp Family

Posted: 1 Oct 2013 11:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
What I do know for a fact:

The 1910 and 1920 census' indicate that the family lived in Susquehanna, Cambria, Penn.--the Spangler area. In 1910, Michael was already married to his new wife, Mary (maiden name Bazar). The census indicates the last name is "Alixie." In 1920, the last name is "Alexie". The census' show that Michael immigrated in 1885 or 1886, spoke Slavic, and were from Austria; I know they were coal miners. I have found NO census for Michael and Nancy at all, nothing for even a Michael Alexie/Alixie/Alexis in 1900. I can't find anything on a Nancy and Michael at all; I've been searching since 2007.

They considered themselves Ruthenian/Carpathian/Russian and were Greek Catholic.

What I don't know or have to guess about:

I believe I know the church they went to because family story states that there was a fire that destroyed records, and I know they were Greek Catholic; there is a Greek Catholic church built by Ruthenians that served the area where they lived during the 1900 census.

These are people who thought that the government from their old country was after them. They may have been involved in politics and attempting to hide their identity; one uncle told my mother that they were exiled royalty: they less she knew the better. Michael was supposedly sent away by his father because things were about to happen where they were from, and his uncle was a governor or mayor of a town. He gave her a newspaper clipping about a prince Alexie that was visiting the US, said "This is your heritage, now don't ask again" and that was all anyone was ever willing to tell her.

My grandfather, William, was born around 1898; his mother Nancy (Maiden name Capp) died during or shortly after his birth. However, William was believed to be born at home and had a birth certificate created later, so I can only guess about actual year of birth. It does say "Nancy Capp" is the mother. I have no firm dates on births or death dates, only estimates from family tales. He believed he was born in Spangler, Pennsylvania. An educated guess tells me that Nancy died in that area around that time, and as far as I knew, Nancy and Michael were married. My grandfather named my mother Nancy after his mother, so I feel comfortable saying that she at least went by Nancy if that wasn't her birth-given name.

I don't know if they immigrated together or married in the US. I don't know with certainty that they lived in Pennsylvania before the birth of William, or where they married. I have only guesses about hometowns, but the area is so huge that I can't even narrow it down.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
EileenWilson0... 30 Sep 2013 7:00PM GMT 
JMartin1981 1 Oct 2013 5:07PM GMT 
EileenWilson0... 1 Oct 2013 6:26PM GMT 
JMartin1981 2 Oct 2013 5:04AM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 30 Sep 2013 9:43PM GMT 
taltos017 1 Oct 2013 2:15PM GMT 
JMartin1981 1 Oct 2013 5:30PM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 1 Oct 2013 5:44PM GMT 
JMartin1981 2 Oct 2013 5:12AM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 2 Oct 2013 5:17AM GMT 
per page