I am searching for my paternal line in East Bohemia. Here is what I have:

Frantisek Vanek
b: 04 Dec 1841 in Velká Skrovnice, Pardubice Region, Bohemia
d: 12 Aug 1905 in Saline County, Nebraska, USA

married abt 1869 in (East) Bohemia:

Mary Kroulik
b: Jun or Jul 1847 in Vysoké Mýto, Pardubice Region, Bohemia
d: 27 Jan 1911 in Saline County, Nebraska, USA

I initially had neither exact dates nor locations (other than simply "Bohemia") for Frantisek "Frank" Vanek and Mary Kroulik. I only had estimated dates from later US census records. Someone on Ancestry.com seems to have found the exact dates and locations listed above... but I have been unable to track down who in order to find the original sources. However, with what I know about the birth location of their son Joseph, this all makes very good sense. And the dates match the census estimates.

Before immigrating Frantisek and Mary had three sons:

1. Joseph J. Vanek (my gg-grandfather)
b: 02 Dec 1869 in Orlov (I believe this is now a merged town called Vračovice-Orlov) in the Pardubice Region. His death record says he was born in "Orlove, Bohemia."
d: 28 Nov 1932 in Lincoln, Lancaster County, Nebraska, USA, though he spent most of his life in Nuckolls and Saline Counties in Nebraska.

2. Frank (Frantisek?) J. Vanek
b: 31 May 1871 in (Bohemia--I do not have a record which lists any specific place)
d: 17 Dec 1936 in Lancaster County, Nebraska, USA.

3. James Vanek
b: 31 May 1874 in (Bohemia)
d: ?? in Nebraska?
He is listed on the 1885 Nebraska state census, then disappears.

Most census records agree that the family immigrated to the United States in 1883 (one record says '84). I have been unable to find any ship manifests or immigration records that clearly match this family. The only record that partially matches is as follows:
10 Oct 1883 arrival in Baltimore aboard "America." Franz, Josef, & Wenzel (is this James?) Vanek, are all the right ages; but there no young Frank listed and Franz's wife's name is Anna instead of Mary (she is the right age though).

I do have at least one other instance in my Bohemian ancestry where someone named Vaclav/Wenzel took the name "James" in America, so that might apply to this arrival record as well.

Any help confirming the information above and/or identifying Frantisek Vanek and Mary Kroulik's parents and siblings would be very much appreciated!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jwvanek1 27 Feb 2012 3:23AM GMT 
jrragno 4 Nov 2012 3:34AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions