Search for content in message boards

looking for religious background on surname Valdman in Bohemia

Replies: 20

Partial Translation

Posted: 15 Dec 2012 12:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Dec 2012 12:38PM GMT
Even though you don't know Czech, the vocabulary you need to research back is manageable. So here's an analysis of the record, and what you can learn from it to go back farther.

On the left is the date. Now, I can't quite figure out what the month is, so that is the type of question aksamitnit01 would gladly answer. (I'm not looking to see if you already have the exact date.) But for clues, look at the month of the entry below. It says 29 řijna which is 29th of October. October is řijen; řijna is the way "of" is expressed. We will see that again later.

The next column has the house number. If the family lived in the house for generations, this is your key to finding older records. Just go backwards in the book, looking for house 65. If the name is not Waldmann, then it's possible it was inherited by a female, and then Waldmann married her. But this is good, as the marriage usually took place in the bride's village, and her husband's village is listed, allowing you to follow in a different direction.

Looking at the next column, Adam's profession is listed after his name. To me, it sort of looks the same as one of my husband's ancestors -- locksmith (word that begins with a "z"). Then a word that begins with "m" basically means townsman or resident. It is related to the word "mesto" which means a town of a certain size. But then you get some real data. Adam is "syn Hynka Waldmann-a" -- son of Hynek Waldmann. There's that "of" case again. I do believe Hynek is Ignatius (English) or Ignac (German).

Then the name of his mother. I am guessing -- Eva Matiaš -- of house 206 in the same village. Notice again the last 2 or 3 letters of the village name. When you are not certain, you remove the last few letters of the village name, then start looking in the atlas.

Adam is 27. That's under the column headed Jahre, which is years in German. The other two columns are for religion, and possibly marital status, i.e. single, widowed. In this case, I cannot read the German for sure. And Adam's check is not in the first column, so I'm not certain.

On the right-hand page, bride is Marie, daughter (dcera) of Jan Bouš (there's that "of" case again). House 41. I wouldn't know if the name is really Bouše until I find the birth record of a male member of this family. (Of course, Czech readers know.) But I know to look for "ouš" in records. Then Marie's mother, Jan's wife. I cannot read her surname for sure; again, some of the readers would be glad to help. But her village -- the "ř" tells me the first letter must be a "P" -- because I have ancestors from a village that starts with "Př". So I'd look for a village nearby that starts with Přidub... The "z" in front of the village name indicates "from" and the village name has an ending indicating location.

From this one record, you have 4 house numbers you can look for to extend your search back. As you go back, you might find a record that you can read more easily and then you learn how to read the script in a different record.

One last note. When you have a village with 200 houses, you are going to have to search through many, many pages to find the next previous birth, etc. After awhile, you learn about how many pages were used for the records for one year, and you can skip that many, assuming the children were born at least a year apart.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
fordhammsw 7 Dec 2012 5:35AM GMT 
aksamitnik01 7 Dec 2012 1:03PM GMT 
fordhammsw 7 Dec 2012 1:37PM GMT 
aksamitnik01 7 Dec 2012 6:08PM GMT 
marylevesque2... 15 Dec 2012 7:34PM GMT 
aksamitnik01 15 Dec 2012 10:02PM GMT 
marylevesque2... 15 Dec 2012 10:55PM GMT 
labald 16 Dec 2012 12:10AM GMT 
marylevesque2... 16 Dec 2012 12:38AM GMT 
labald 16 Dec 2012 1:08PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions