Search for content in message boards

Searching for town of origin

Replies: 10

Re: Searching for town of origin - Konecny

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 4:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
To figure out the place-names (village), click the drop-down number at the top for Obce. The Czech spelling are listed first, then the German. With both these, and the child's given name, I start from the right and look for a pattern. If the town ends in icz, and there's only one on the drop-down list, I assume that's the town. For given names, if it ends in "ronika", I think about what names have that ending. "Veronika" is one possibility. I look for known words, such as the months, to see how the writer made the capital letters. A classic one is a given name that ended in "nton". The first letter looked like a comination of X and H and W to me. Well, the only "nton" name I know is "Anton". Finding the month August, I verified that the first letter was "A".

A competing website, familysearch dot whatever, has videos explaining the handwriting. For Johann, it helps to know that "h" had a long descender, and looks like "f" to us. To indicate doubled letters, as in Anna, they would draw a line over the letter, Ana, with a line over the n. Double s also looks sort of like an f.

I've been reviewing my research of a year and a half ago, and I got some of the given names wrong. I confused Katharina and Frantiska, for example. But it is obvious to me now.

What you should do is write a new query, with the url of the actapublica page, and ask for a translation of record x on the left/right side of the page. Then a reader of Czech might help you out. (They probably aren't going to look at something with this many replies.) If you take a look at my postings, I probably have 2 dozen where they helped me out. Once you see the transcription and translation, you can study the original record and start to make sense of it.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
marylevesque2... 21 Jan 2013 11:29PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions