Search for content in message boards

Ann HOENBERG/GOLLERSTEPPER (Early 1900s, America in 1938)

Replies: 0

Ann HOENBERG/GOLLERSTEPPER (Early 1900s, America in 1938)

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 9:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Korman, Gallert, Gollerstepper, Hoenberg
I am researching my grandmother Lillian "Bunni" Korman (b. 1935, d. 2010). She came to America from Klosterneuburg, Austria in 1938, which was a small farming town about 20 miles outside of Vienna. She was fleeing Nazi control in Austria and happened to escape due to her father’s (Rudy) military history. He had already been deported to a concentration camp (later got out and escaped with rest of family) but he had saved the newly elected mayor of Vienna’s life during their service in World War 1. He was able to get my grandmother, her mother (Ann) and himself out of the country. Rudy Gallert and Ann Gallert, who changed their last name from Gollerstepper to Gallert when they came to America, owned a small general store in Austria called “Sigmund Gollerstepper & Son.” My grandmother Lillian “Bunni” is an only child and came to America at the age of 3 (November 1938) on the U.S.S. Theodore Roosevelt. They settled in Washington Heights, New York. Ann's parents are Julius and Sarha Hoenberg, who are from Czechoslovakia. They were sent to Riga, Lithuania in cattle trains to be shot and buried in mass graves. Rudy parents were Sigmund "Oppa" Gollerstepper, who lived to be 102 years old (d. 1974) and Caroline Gollerstepper (d. 1943). Sigmund and Caroline came to America in 1939, one year after my grandmother. Sigmund lived in Hamden, CT and there was a story in the Bridgeport Post about the 97 year old man who quit smoking, which was written about him. Lillian "Bunni" married my grandfather Jerome Korman, and lived in Hamden, CT, Spring Valley, NY and Orange, CT throughout the majority of their adult lives. They later moved to Hunters Run community in Boyton Beach, FL in the winter and resided in Derby, CT in the summer. If you know anything about my grandmother or any of her relatives please help me out.

Researching: Korman, Gallert, Gollerstepper, Hoenberg

Zachary Lee Stone (University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT)

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions