Search for content in message boards

Another general question...

Replies: 35

Re: Another general question...

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 9:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Yes, we have all run into the duplicate name situation. That is why I just love the 1747 marriage of Sebastian and Sophie on my husband's line -- no confusing them! My experience with naming patterns is a little different. The custom from my area was that the first son was named after the grandfather, the second after the father or perhaps an uncle who was older than the father, so then it would be the third son who had the father's name. Not a hard and fast rule, but used often enough.

But in my research to help others, I have seen situations where the second wife had the same name as the first, and was nearly the same age as the first family's children. In one family, the last daughter of the first wife was Frantiska, and 3 years later, the first daughter of the second wife was also Frantiska! I had the wrong one married into the line I was working on with a friend for several weeks, I think. Imagine -- two little girls with the same name in the same household. The older one (my friend's ancestor) got married at 18, but first baby not born for over a year. Do you think maybe she wanted to escape the stepmother?

The only solution is to do exactly as you are -- find all possible records, sort through them. Don't forget, the death records had the age, and while mistakes do happen, Czech math is mostly very good. In fact, what I frequently do is go through the death book first, and list all with the surname I'm researching, because they've got to be connected somehow. Well, I go through the index, not the actual book. I can then compute the possible birth year and watch for that person in the baptismal book.

Regarding Josefa, that would equate to Josephine. It's the folks who got a transcription where masculine Josef became Josefa in the accusative, usually a sibling, not the direct ancestor, and they didn't understand that it really was Josef. So the narrative might read "They had 3 children -- Jan, Josef, and Siegfried" which in Czech would turn out "Jana, Josefa, a Sigfrieda". They translate Jana as Jan correctly, but leave the "a" on the other two.

Good luck. It will be fun to see where you are with this a year from now.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
akoppe 20 Mar 2013 8:00PM GMT 
LenkaJesionka 20 Mar 2013 9:37PM GMT 
akoppe 20 Mar 2013 10:03PM GMT 
aksamitnik01 21 Mar 2013 6:16PM GMT 
marylevesque2... 21 Mar 2013 10:54PM GMT 
akoppe 25 Mar 2013 2:23AM GMT 
marylevesque2... 25 Mar 2013 3:49AM GMT 
akoppe 25 Mar 2013 2:13PM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 25 Mar 2013 2:42PM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 25 Mar 2013 3:00PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions