Search for content in message boards

Michael Stich, born 1843 in Bohemia

Replies: 2

Michael Stich, born 1843 in Bohemia

Posted: 28 Jun 2013 6:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stich, Steck, Stick, Stek, Huttel, Huttl, Gullk
I recently began doing research on my family history and am at the point of seeking information on the family’s ancestral town and village, my great grandparents parents, and any living relatives who may still be the area. My great grandfather Michael Stich (spelled Steck, Stick, Stek on various documents) and great grandmother Katharina (Anna), maiden name Huttel/Huttl (may be an umlauted “u” in surname) came to the United States from “Austria” with some of their children in 1894. Michael was born in 1843 and Katharina was born in 1845 or 1846. The source “Czech Immigration Passenger Lists” by Leo Baca indicates that Michl and Anna Stich with three of their children immigrated from Bohemia, sailing on the ship “Lahn” departing Bremen on 17 May 1894. The family settled in a coal mining town (Fitz Henry) in western Pennsylvania. The men worked in the mines.
In US census records for 1920, my great grandmother (Katharina/Anna) and two of her children gave their birth place as Richenthal, Austria. At first I thought this might be the town Reichenthal in Upper Austria and placed a query on the Austria Board. However, following receipt of some very helpful posts to that board, I believe it is more likely to be a location in the present day Czech Republic: Rozvadov or Nove Domky or Hranicky (formerly German Reichenthal). I believe these are locations in or near the city of Tachov in the state of Plzen in West Bohemia.
I have not been able to find the names of the parents of my great grandparents. On Micheal Stich’s birth certificate the name of his father appears to be also Michael, but it is hard to read and may not be accurate. Katharina Huttel’s mother’s name was Fanny Gullk (with umlauted “u”), born 1823. The family’s religion was Roman Catholic.
The helpful persons who posted on the Austria board pointed me to state and church archives that I intend to search, but in the meantime if anyone has specific information on the Michael Stich family coming from Bohemia, I would appreciate any information you can share.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jdsteck49 28 Jun 2013 12:48PM GMT 
aksamitnik01 28 Jun 2013 8:49PM GMT 
jdsteck49 29 Jun 2013 10:41AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic