Search for content in message boards

Names Search Vod?

Replies: 17

Names Search Vod?

Posted: 6 Sep 2013 9:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Sep 2013 9:23AM GMT
Vodovec/Vdovec/Vidovic/Vodovec/Vidopec..etc, etc.
Very general, yes but is it possible that variations of my name (Vodovec) are actually related? I've been coming across so many variations of this name and have been told by far more experienced researchers that because the name has been Anglicized once they came to North America, it's very likely there are several relations to my name.
What I don't get, is how I am supposed to find further relatives from the names I already have;
My father was John Vodovec (verified), his father is Antonio Vodvec who immigrated to Canada (verified). On Antonio's marriage certificate, it states his father simply, as John and mother Helen (verified)
My living aunt told me that she recalls her aunt Helen that lived in the U.S. but that's all she remembers. I found a John & Helen and I found a Joseph & Helen but to verify any of this information, is proving to be a daunting task because I'm not sure how to verify it, aside from someone who actually knew them. The ones I did find don't have an Antonio listed anywhere. I realize that Antonio immigrated on his own to St. John,New Brunswick, Canada in 1927 but could the John I found, be his brother (he's only 10yrs older than my grandfather and he immigrated to Nova Scotia, Canada in 1928) and Joseph, could this be his father and how on earth would I really verify it? Is it possible to verify it?
I'm so passionate in my research and verification is very important to me; albeit, perhaps not possible.
I'd like to try and get my grandfathers birth certificate but not knowing exactly where he was born may prove impossible. Chzechoslavakia and Hungary come up as the only locations, other than Antwerp, Germany (which is where they immigrated from)
Are you confused Yet? I know I am and I feel like I'm going in circles now. If you can offer any advice to go further with this, please advise because at this point, I really feel that the information I already have (above) is correct. Also know that I do not speak or write any language other than English, so going into the European sites is a dead end if it's not in English.
Thank you so much for reading this post and I anxiously await for any replies.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
CharleneVodov... 6 Sep 2013 3:17PM GMT 
marylevesque2... 7 Sep 2013 1:32PM GMT 
CharleneVodov... 7 Sep 2013 7:46PM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 18 Sep 2013 11:20PM GMT 
CharleneVodov... 19 Sep 2013 12:25PM GMT 
aksamitnik01 19 Sep 2013 1:05PM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 19 Sep 2013 1:07PM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 19 Sep 2013 5:55PM GMT 
CharleneVodov... 21 Sep 2013 8:34PM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 21 Sep 2013 8:44PM GMT 
per page