Search for content in message boards

Anton Prochazka Bohemian from "Austria" emigrated 1907

Replies: 5

Re: Anton Prochazka Bohemian from "Austria" emigrated 1907

Posted: 17 Aug 2012 7:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Anton was naturalized with the rest of his family in the 1920s. Since my father and four of his siblings were born in Canada, they all had to be naturalized as well. My recollections constantly return to talk of Praha, and at one point that is where my grandfather stated he was from.

On his social security form filed September 2, 1941 he listed place of birth as Czechoslovakia on January 8, 1885. No city was named.

Although censuses after his return to the US all stated that the family was Roman Catholic, he always listed himself as Lutheran. My father never mentioned anything but Catholic, so I am surmising that Anton did not practice a religion.

My father, now deceased, did say that he only spoke Bohemian until he went to school in Minnesota. He also stated repeatedly that Anton "was no farmer." In 1941 Anton listed himself as unemployed and none for his last occupation; however all censuses in Canada and the US listed him as a farmer.

John and Anna Pospisil Prochazka had a farm in Canada, and that was where he went after emigration; however, he did spend three years in Minnestota (no records avail) because he left when my grandmother was 15, but she joined him as soon as she turned 18 in 1913. They started a family immediately. My father born in 1917 was the fourth child.

Thank you in advance for your help.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
BarbaraStubbs... 16 Aug 2012 9:19PM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 16 Aug 2012 11:00PM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 16 Aug 2012 11:22PM GMT 
BarbaraStubbs... 17 Aug 2012 1:15PM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 17 Aug 2012 1:36PM GMT 
BarbaraStubbs... 17 Aug 2012 3:33PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic