Search for content in message boards

Anton Prause of Mitteldorf (Rokytnice v Orlických horách)

Replies: 3

Anton Prause of Mitteldorf (Rokytnice v Orlických horách)

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 11:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 May 2014 6:09PM GMT
Surnames: Prause
I want to learn about the fate of Anton Prause, who was my great-grandmother's brother. My primary goal is to learn the place, date and manner of his death. I also want to know what became of his son Anton Eduard Prause.

Anton Prause and my ancestors lived in Mitteldorf, a village just north of the town of Rokinitz in the Eagle Mountains of Bohemia. This is present-day Prostredni Rokytnice, just north of Rokytnice v Orlických horách in the Czech Republic. The Prause family were ethnic Germans and had a grain mill there called the lochmuhle.

Anton was born on 25 January 1874 to Catholic master-miller Franz Prause and Theresia Rücker. Anton had three sisters. Two sisters went to the United States (including my great-grandmother) and the other sister ended up in Salzburg, Austria.

Anton became a master-miller like his father. He married Anna Diwischek on 8 Oct 1901. Together Anton & Anna had two children: Anton Eduard Prause (b. 9 March 1904) and Anna Elisabeth Prause (b. 17 November 1905). Anton's wife Anna died on 31 March 1906, only 23 years old, from tuberculosis. Both wife and daughter Anna are buried in nearby Himmlisch Ribnei / Rybnai / Riebnai (now called Rybná Nebeská). I do not know when the daughter died or how.

In October 1909, Anton came to the United States and went to live with his sister Anna (Prause) Christen and her husband Rudolf at their farm in Nebraska. Anton's children did not come with, as far as I can tell. After a few years at his sister's farm on the Great Plains he returned to Europe, presumably to Mitteldorf. I think he returned before World War I.

I don't know what happened to him since his return to Europe, other than that he might have been alive after World War II. Family lore is that my great-grandmother Elisabeth (his sister) sent care packages to him following the war. A cousin's uncertain recollection was that Anton was in a concentration camp of some sort. We're not sure exactly why, and I wonder if this refers to something that happened with the German expulsion from Czechoslovakia after the war. I have found two instances of the name "Anton Prause" on a monument remembering those who suffered in the World Wars next to the church in Rokytnice.

Any information or ideas where to look for the fate of Anton Prause and his son would be most appreciated. I've attached a photo of Anton Prause (the tall man on the right) with his brother-in-law Franz Viertbauer near Salzburg, Austria.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
scvolkamer 14 Aug 2012 5:21AM GMT 
aksamitnik01 18 Sep 2012 10:20PM GMT 
scvolkamer 19 May 2014 12:03AM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 18 Sep 2012 10:51PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions