Search for content in message boards

Elberfeld Germany circa 1800 to 1907

Replies: 5

Elberfeld Germany circa 1800 to 1907

Cora L. Dickten-Jacobs (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2002 2:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DICKTEN, DOHRMANN, GRUEN
I am trying to locate decendants of Johann Abraham Dickten and Wilhelmine Gruen. Would like to correspond and share information.

The following is a letter received from Walter Dickten, Wuppertal:

Dear Cora
I am happy that it finally was possible to get the birth-certificate of your grandfather Otto Dickten.

It was very difficult to get it because it was not possible for me to prove that I am a descendant of your grandfather.

What a big surprise when I read the certificate with all the informations and the address. I found out, your grandfather Otto Dickten is a cousin of my father!!

Your ggrandfather Abraham Dickten was the oldest of three brothers. The names of the others were Peter and Wilhelm. Wilhelm was my grandfather.

So the father of these three brothers is our common ancestor!
He is your gggrandfather and my ggrandfather!!!

There are still living descendants of Peter and Wilhelm. But up to now nobody knew something about the descendants of Abraham and Otto, exept that both emigrated to the USA.

That made my investigation difficulty!

Now something about me:

I am a 77year old widower. I have a sister and a brother.
For me it was a big surprise when I received a letter from America.

Where did you get my name and address from?
In the telephone-directory of my hometown you find 27 peoples named Dickten, two of them with the firstname Walter.

Besides that I want to know, why do you need that certificate?
I hope, you will write me about your search.

If necessary I will be pleased to help you getting further infos!

Kind regards from the home of your ancestors!!

Your relative

Walter Dickten

I believe Abraham who was born 26 April 1846.

Abraham was married to Frederike Louise Döhrmann, they had a son by the name of Otto Dickten. Otto was my grandfather.

Otto was born in Elberfeld on 17 February 1888. He immigrated to the United States on the SS Finland, arriving New York on 24 October 1905. They sailed from Antwerp, Belguim. Otto traveled with his father and sister, Abraham Dickten and Lydia Dickten.

Abraham returned to the United States in 1907, he was going to meet his son Emil. Abraham also had a son-in-law named August Weinmann.

When Abraham returned to the United States in 1907, the ship manefest showed that he was a widower. Frederike died sometime between 1905 and 1907.

Thank you,

Cora
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Cora L. Dickten-Jacobs 6 Aug 2002 8:13PM GMT 
cclever_1 23 Aug 2010 1:56AM GMT 
valeria1950 25 Sep 2010 4:13PM GMT 
cclever_1 25 Sep 2010 8:47PM GMT 
aklanger 25 Sep 2010 10:19PM GMT 
cldjacobs 18 Feb 2013 3:45AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions