Search for content in message boards

Schenk family from Anrochte Germany

Replies: 11

Re: Schenk family from Anrochte Germany

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 3:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Catherine Schenk, born 31 Oct 1856 at Mt. Vernon, IN, bap 4 Nov, the daughter of Adam Schenk and Susan Ganz. Witness: Eberhard Schenk, Jr.

From an interview with Bernard Schenk on 16 July 1988:
Bernard Schenk was born 1909. He married Catherine Schutte (Eberhart Schutte is her uncle.)

They had a child Henry Schenk, b 1844. He was a sharpshooter in the Civil War. He m Louise Riser, b Karlsruhe, Germany. Her parents were deceased and she was raised by an uncle. She worked for an officer and had to prepare huge amounts of food and was not allowed to eat even the crumbs. She had to go out to eat. She had a sister who married a Doerr and settled in Ridgeway, Illinois. She was married two times: 1st to August Goetz and had 1 child Augusta Goetz. She married 2nd Henry Schenk and had 1 child, Bernard Schenk.

Henry Schenk's father was Joseph Adam Schenk. He started Dogtown. He had a tavern in Germany. He migrated to avoid the draft in the Kaiser's War. His brother was E. B. Schenk. He married Susan Ganz.

Susan Ganz and Joseph Adam Schenk had: Henry, who married Louise Riser; Margaret, who married Joseph Kern; Mary, who married John Koressel; Annie, who married Henry Gerhardt; Sister Matthias and Sister Phillomene.

The parents of Joseph Adam Schenk were: Francis Schenk and Maria Deig. Francis was born ca 1820-1824 at Antract Monastery. D 14 Feb 1865. He was a hotel keeper with his brother, E.P.

Maria Deig was born in Bavaria, d 9 June 1880. Their children were: Eberhart B., m Elisabeth Stahlhoefer; Joseph Adam; Anna Margaretha, b 1848; Marian Julianna, b 1850; John Anthony, bap 1852, Sponsor: John Deig; John Stephen, bap 1857, Spons: Stephan Deig and Susanna Schenk.

If you are trying to reconstruct just those families you listed from Antrochte, Germany, it might benefit you to order film from LDS in the time period you are interested in and gather them all together. There are many people bearing the surnames you listed in Vanderburgh and Posey counties, Indiana. And they all intermarried. Schenk (three different lines), Kern, Weinzepfel, Humpert, Marx,Schutte,Deig, Brune...what interesting and fascinating times they lived in and left us with a wonderful heritage.

You asked me if the book you described is my book. No, it is not. My book is "Once a Hoosier" by Jeanne M. Bornefeld. I know there is another one by the same name, however, my book covers mostly just those people who came to Southwest Indiana - almost all of them Germany or Alsace. Most of them still wore mostly black when I was young. Beautiful, prosperous farms, solid values, intelligent, kind, respectful people.

I explained in my 3rd volume about the name of my book. I started collecting information in the 1950's. Grandma used to say, "Try this once" or "Once in a while do this or once try that" there was always that word "Once" and I have all these Germans who were all "Once a Hoosier". Some came to Indiana and stayed. Others moved across the Wabash for farm land in southern Illinois. Grandma's mother used to hook up the buggy and take the children and cross the Wabash in the buggy when it froze over to visit her relatives in Posey County.

Then later on a Schenk and Weinzapfel went to Texas and founded Windthorst. Other Germans from southern Indiana followed, as did Grandma - where she met Grandpa from Ste. Genevieve, Mo. Then started the intermarrying of people of German descent from Vanderburgh and Posey counties, IN and Ste. Genevieve, Mo, and Windthorst, TX. So the Gremmingers in Windthorst, TX are the same family as the ones in Evansville and Ste. Genevieve. Same goes for the Humpert, Schenk and Weinzepfel families. Jeanne

I have a few graphs in my book just to show the complexities of the relationships of so many of the German families in the West side of Evansville and Posey County. I don't know if I have been of any help, but to understand who they were/are you really have to reconstruct whole families and be very careful because many have the same given name and surname and married people with common given names to make it even more of a challenge to understand the lineages.

Jeanne
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
djgerhardt1 1 Oct 2007 1:35AM GMT 
twistedmom_99 2 Oct 2007 12:59PM GMT 
djgerhardt1 3 Oct 2007 3:55PM GMT 
hoosiergen 22 Dec 2011 1:54AM GMT 
djgerhardt1 22 Dec 2011 3:59AM GMT 
hoosiergen 27 Dec 2011 8:17PM GMT 
djgerhardt1 28 Dec 2011 12:48AM GMT 
hoosiergen 30 Dec 2011 11:42PM GMT 
ropulse 28 Feb 2013 3:39AM GMT 
hoosiergen 28 Feb 2013 10:58PM GMT