Search for content in message boards

Locating name of Camp in Berlin and DP Camp in Stuttgart

Replies: 4

Locating name of Camp in Berlin and DP Camp in Stuttgart

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 7:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to piece together some verbal history we have been given by my mother in law.
They are Ukrainian and spent WW2 in a camp in Berlin. At the end of the war they went to a DP Camp in Stuttgart before being processed and moved to Bagnoli, then immigrating to Australia.

IDEALLY - I am after names of possible camps in Berlin and then DP Camp in Stuttgart that they could possibly have been at.
The verbal information I have been given is as follows: (PLEASE TAKE NOTE that this is coming from a now 78yr old woman who was 8yrs old in 1940)
"Before the war in Russia, Germany invaded Ukraine and we were taken to Berlin to work. we were lucky as we went as a family and stayed together (mum, dad and 3 daughters - with 2 lost baby boys in there somewhere) We were NEVER in one of those camps. We always had food and clothes on our backs.
Dad didnt like working but he went everyday to some factory to do with cars/trucks. Mum had the kids so she looked after us. As we got older she went to work in the factory too. She would sew the seat covers for the cars, tanks and trucks. When mum went to work we had to saty in the camp in Berlin. The Guards watched over us during the day.
Towards the end of the war the camp was opened and we were told to leave. Dad took us out to farms as the Russians were coming and it was not safe in Berlin. When things seemed to settle down Dad got us out of hiding and presented us to some American Soldiers that were patrolling. They sent us to Stuutgart to the camp there.
In Stuttgart everything was ruined from the bombings. I think we lived in a camp near the railway. It was small. There were 3 or 4 huts and the Germans lived there. I think it was near a sugar factory as my older sister worked there and she hated it.
I think we were in a few camps in Stuttgart and then we managed to move to a house. We rented the room upstairs. Dad worked on a farm."

WE APPRECIATE that some of this information may be nowhere near correct. She told us her youngest sister was born in Ukraine adn that they went to Berlin at the start of the war. Our aunty was only born in 1940 and her birth is recorded as being in the Ukraine. So this may not have been possible.
Unfortunately the only person that could give us more information is 82 and has dementia now :o(
ITS advised us their records show the parents as being registered in Stuttgart-Bad Cannstatt Muhlhauser Strabe 43 at sometime during the war on a date not indicated. They were then registered in Liptingen from 13th April 1945

If anyone can help me or point me in the right direction I would really really appreciate it!!!
Thanks in advace,
Erin
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
moosehoose1 16 Feb 2011 2:53PM GMT 
karlawalters 22 Feb 2011 4:07AM GMT 
moosehoose1 22 Feb 2011 4:08AM GMT 
Jennifer Hanl... 5 Apr 2013 9:01AM GMT 
moosehoose1 5 Apr 2013 9:15AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions