Search for content in message boards

From Oberndorf/Bavaria to Newark NJ: SCHUBERT, SELIG, GLASSEN, TRÜB, DESCH and SACHS

Replies: 2

From Oberndorf/Bavaria to Newark NJ: SCHUBERT, SELIG, GLASSEN, TRÜB, DESCH and SACHS

Posted: 2 Apr 2003 1:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SCHUBERT, SELIG, GLASSEN, TRÜB, DESCH , SACHS
Hello to Bavarians and Hessians-

Certain entries in the Parish Register of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Newark NJ present me with the problem of which list to post a message to. There are immigrants named SCHUBERT, SELIG, GLASSEN, TRÜB, DESCH and SACHS who, according to the records, come from "Oberndorf, Bavaria" or "Oberndorf, Neo-Bavaria". I think by searching the German phone book for accumulations of theses names I've finally hit upon the correct Oberndorf - nowadays located just across the border in Hessen in the community of 63637 Jossgrund in the Spessart region. Back in the 1840's/50's when these families emigrated, Oberndorf was in fact part of Bavaria, having been granted to Bavaria in 1815 by the Treaty of Vienna. There it remained until 1866, when another treaty ceded it to Prussia (and thus to Hessen).

These political developments are the reason I'm posting my questions to Bavarian and Hessian Boards:
Does anyone have information on emigration in general from Oberndorf (or Burgjoss) to the US?
Does anyone have access to the Kirchenbuch (Parish Register) of Oberndorf?
Does anyone have information on the surnames listed above from Oberndorf (or Burgjoss)?

I have access to the microfilms of the Parish Register for St. Mary's Catholic Church in Newark NJ. Should you like a lookup for any of the above surnames, please provide as many specific details as possible.

Thanks very much

George Meister
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
George80339 2 Apr 2003 8:24PM GMT 
killerd11 23 Aug 2009 1:30PM GMT 
rusyn13 17 Aug 2013 11:53PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions