Search for content in message boards

GOTTHEIMER/BASWITZ

Replies: 12

Re: GOTTHEIMER/BASWITZ

Posted: 21 Oct 2011 12:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Jade

I am related to the 9 children and descendants of Max Baswitz and his wife Caecilie Weiss, one of whom was indeed Elsbeth Baswitz Gottgetreu. Caecilie was the sister of my great-grandmother, Clara Weiss Nathan. So I don't really know about the Baswitz line upwards, as I am not related.

However, I am in touch with one of Elsbeth's 2 grandchildren - Peter Reich (my 3rd cousin), who was born in England but lives in Israel.

Peter (and his sister Evelyn, who still lives in London), are the only grandchildren of Elsbeth. Her brother Erich Gottgetreu and her sister Eva Gottgetreu Potter never had children.

Last year my husband and I visited Israel and stayed with Peter and his wife for 3 days of our 3 week trip. We met their 4 children and most of their 14 grandchildren. It was wonderful.

Peter was very close to his uncle Erich and his wife Sonja. Upon Sonja's death, Peter inherited Erich's vast collection of documents and photos. Peter has posted the entire Baswitz tree, together with photos, on myheritage.com, but you will probably have to be "invited" by him to view it, I am not sure. I am sure he will be delighted to hear from you. You can e-mail him at petermreich@gmail.com. He is always delighted to hear from other Baswitz descendants.

Both Peter and I are in touch with Barbara Roterud of Oslo, Norway. She is the granddaughter of Benno Baswitz, another of Max/Caecilie's 9 children.

Both Barbara and Peter have originals of the famous Baswitz tree, and you will find Max/Caecilie on it. Barbara emailed me the tree in pieces, as she has the entire tree framed. I should tell you that there are a few errors on the tree, mainly for dates.

You probably know that the Baswitz family were printers, that the original surname was BASCHWITZ, and that they were from Frankfurt an der Oder. Hermann Baswitz, who did the tree, lived in Berlin, and was another of the 9 children of Max/Caecilie.

You can also see the Baswitz members that I am related to on my tree on geni.com with Peter's photos.

Peter is observant, so he does not use the computer on Shabbat.

If you send me your e-mail address, I can also forward it on to Peter.

Kind regards (from Hawaii)

Judith Elam
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Gerry Scoffield 26 Jun 1998 12:00PM GMT 
jmfoster_1 15 Mar 2002 12:52PM GMT 
actonbks1 9 Feb 2010 10:22PM GMT 
foster281137 14 Jul 2010 8:05AM GMT 
actonbks1 30 Jul 2010 10:01PM GMT 
su2192 20 Feb 2013 5:35PM GMT 
judithellenel... 27 Apr 2011 1:25AM GMT 
Jones_Pamela 21 Oct 2011 3:37PM GMT 
Jones_Pamela 21 Oct 2011 3:45PM GMT