Search for content in message boards

translation help from German to English

Replies: 13

Re: translation help from German to English

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 8:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Kathy,
There is one thing which I think you must grasp to sort this out. Until 1919 most of central Europe was ruled by three great empires, Russian, German and Austro-Hungarian. This meant that someone could be ethnically German, Polish, Hungarian, Jewish while at the same time being of "Austrian", "German" or "Russian" citizenship. The Austro-Hungarian Empire was the most confusing, spreading from the Ukraine to Italy, large lumps of the Baltic states and most of the Balkans, today's little Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia and the Czech Republic. Bohemia was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and is in today's Czech Republic. The population was a mixture of Germans/German speakers and Czechs/Czech speakers. This became part of Czechslovakia in 1919 and at the end of WW2 almost all Germans/German speakers were expelled and towns and villages used, or were given, their Czech names. A quick look throws up Hundorf twice (but no Huehnerdorf) - one being Hudcov and one Pohorske. There is a fair amount of information available and googling German-Czech place names will keep you busy for a while. However you do have to remember that quite a few "German" villages were totally abandoned and simply no longer exist. There are people with much better knowledge of this area than mine so perhaps someone else can put forward an idea - but do take a look at a map of the Astro-Hungarian Empire and you will see what I mean and get a better idea of what you are chasing, which will be in today's Czech Republic going from what you have said. Good luck anyway.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
katinaustin 22 Mar 2012 7:29AM GMT 
BeatrixAnna 22 Mar 2012 8:53AM GMT 
katinaustin 22 Mar 2012 3:58PM GMT 
BeatrixAnna 22 Mar 2012 5:32PM GMT 
katinaustin 26 Mar 2013 1:40AM GMT 
BeatrixAnna 26 Mar 2013 7:01AM GMT 
halpark 26 Mar 2013 2:11PM GMT 
katinaustin 26 Mar 2013 2:35PM GMT 
halpark 26 Mar 2013 7:03PM GMT 
rjbehnen 27 Mar 2013 2:28AM GMT 
per page