Search for content in message boards

Occupation translation in German?

Replies: 12

Re: Occupation translation in German?

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 4:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
I hate to throw the discussion off course, but the occupation is Häcker for sure. "ange•ender" is probably angehender, but the h is badly formed as if the ink did not flow from the pen on the down loop. (I can't think of another word to fit.)

I am still learning about the word Häcker. its use depends on where in Germany you are. A common definition, especially in northern Franconia by Wurzberg refers to someone who loosens the soil in terraced vineyards or otherwise is involved in viniculture.. However, wine is not widely grown in Germany. In my ancestral village, I believe it referred to farming of Hops. A Hake refers to a hoe or maddoc-type tool used to break up the soil. I have heard Germans tell me it is a person who clears the land in preparation for farming. It is a rather lower-status occupation than a full Bauer, Okenom, or perhaps even Haüsler (small farmer). The above refers to agriculture-related occupations. When combined with other occupations, it can refer to butchers, woodcutters, etc. The root word is hacking with similar meaning to english.

Angehender would refer to a "Häcker to be", someone who might not yet be on his own. I would have expected the word to refer to someone with a craft-trade instead of a lowly small farmer, but I am already at the limit of my knowledge!

Hope this helps.
Peter
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dabparis 27 Mar 2012 1:46AM GMT 
FamFo 28 Mar 2012 9:46AM GMT 
joeschrick 28 Mar 2012 10:19AM GMT 
FamFo 28 Mar 2012 4:42PM GMT 
halpark 28 Mar 2012 10:23AM GMT 
joeschrick 28 Mar 2012 10:50AM GMT 
halpark 28 Mar 2012 3:08PM GMT 
joeschrick 28 Mar 2012 4:30PM GMT 
peterxh 24 Jan 2013 11:47PM GMT 
halpark 25 Jan 2013 12:49PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions