Search for content in message boards

Hans Ulrich Zwingli

Replies: 1

Hans Ulrich Zwingli

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 8:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Swingley, Schwingel, Zwingle, Zwingli
I am trying to tie my family of Swingley's into the lineage of Ulrich Zwingli, the Swiss reformer, if there is a link.

My part of the Swingley family, Johan Nicholas Zwingli (1680-1784) came to the United States from the Sarbrucken area of Germany on the German ship Samuel and arrived at Philadelphia, PA on December 3, 1740. He was accompanied by his son, Georg (1720-1800). Both Johan and George were listed as Palatines, who were immigrants of the Palatinates of Germany. They did not have sufficient funds to pay for their passages and, as arranged, were sold by the ships captain for a period of years as indentured servants to pay for any amount due for their passage. He had a son after his arrival in America named Johan Peter Schwingel (1750-1798), who was the father of Michael Swingley.

My immediate ancestor, Michael Swingley (1785-1850), lived in Berkeley County, Va. (now West Va.) and was married to Nancy Riner. After her death he moved to Clinton County, Ohio. Their son, Peter was my great-great-great grandfather.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
paulawalla35 7 Jan 2013 3:48AM GMT 
joeschrick 7 Jan 2013 1:42PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions