Search for content in message boards

grandfather behrendt

Replies: 1

Re: grandfather behrendt

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 7:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Nancy,

you are quite fortunate because your ancestor emigrated through the port of Hamburg and the officials there did an excellent job of recording people's towns of origin.

If you search ancestry's immigration records for Ferdinand Behrndt (spelled that way) and arriving in 1881 you will find the entry in the Hamburg passenger lists for the ship Lessing.

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?ti=0&indiv=tr...

It says he is from "Adolpshof, Pommern" however, I believe they misread the entry and I would read it as: Adolfshof, Pommern.

Great news - right!? But now you have the problem of multiple towns with that name! So your search has only just begun. The other problem you will have is that this is the area that suffered greatly during and after World War II. Additionally, many church books were lost, destroyed, etc.

Now, the next step is to determine what religion your ancestors were, i.e. catholic or protestant. Knowing this will help you determine where to look for the surviving church records, if any. It is likely they were protestant but it is just a guess.

So, Nancy, what can you tell us about the Behrendt family's religion? Any old documents, bibles, or stories which might indicate such? Where was he buried - did the funeral occur from a church?

Based upon your answers, I or others might be able to suggest/recommend specific next steps in your research.

Bob Behnen
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
grammanancy44... 7 Jan 2013 8:21PM GMT 
rjbehnen 8 Jan 2013 2:13AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions