Tracing relatives of WW2 German POW named Johann Müller

Replies: 1

Tracing relatives of WW2 German POW named Johann Müller

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 4:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Feb 2013 5:27PM GMT
Surnames: Müller
Hi there,

I am looking for any assistance possible in trying to trace the relatives or any information relating to a German POW who was held as a prisoner in East Lothian, Scotland during WW2.

The particular individuals names was Johann Müller and from what I understand, he was held in a POW camp (no. 16) near a small village called Aberlady in East Lothian and was later transferred to Camp no. 19 in Lanarkshire and finally camp no. 9 in Loughborough near Leicester, England. I have no record of him prior to camp 16, although I believe this camp was commissioned in 1944.

My interest stems from the fact that Johann struck up a close friendship with a relation of mine, and during some family research I happened upon some letters and photographs from Johann to my relation.

Contrary to my initial thoughts, Johann as a POW appeared to have a great deal of freedom and routinely visited my relatives and often went on trips with them to visit other members of the family. I believe that Johann was set to work at a large house in a small village in East Lothian called Spott (where my relative lived at the time). Some of the letters speak fondly of his time in Scotland, and after repatriation to Germany after the war he continued corresponding for a time.

I would dearly love to share these items with any family he may alive, although I do not know where to start, nor do I speak any German unfortunately.

Is there any advice here on how I may be able to track relatives down?

The last address I have for Johann (dated 23 Dec 1947) is as follows:

Johann Müller
Motor- u. Fahrradhandlung
Reparatur-Wekrst. u. Autovermietung
(22C) Olef b/Schleiden (Eifel)
Umgehungsstr. 61
Tel. Amt Schleiden No. 334

I assume from the address that he was a motor mechanic but perhaps the 22C is a house number in Olef?

In the attached photo (dated 1947) he sent of himself, wife and two children there are four names: Johann, Heinz, Lotte and I think Hanna (last name difficult to decipher). Johann looks aged in his thirties and the son around 5, daughter 3.

From the uniform and insignia he appeared to be a 2nd Class seaman in the Kriegsmarine (German Navy). I did find a record of a Maschinengefreiter Müller having been captured during 1940 (U-boat U-55) but cannot confirm whether this was him or not (as yet!).

I have one remaining relative who has vague recollections of the POW's in Spott at the time, and he distantly remembers Johann. It would be nice to provide him with some information on what happened to him after the war.

If anyone is able to provide any assistance, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Kevin.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
martikh 6 Feb 2013 11:26PM GMT 
skizzoshop 7 Feb 2013 6:45AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions