Search for content in message boards

WWI Casualty Liebenguth

Replies: 12

Eugene, Anna, Adelaide, Fannie

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 5:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Feb 2013 5:52AM GMT
To both Bob and FamFo:

I had a long reply written, and then I found out something that made it out-of-date. I knew about Fannie Uhden marrying Eugene Liebengueth in 1937 from the italiangen.org website. I also have the marriage certificate for his second marriage to Adelaide Uhden Wichersheimer in 1915. Eugene's daughter, Elsie, married Otto Huebner in 1916. I found Elsie living with Adelaide in the 1915 New York census, 3 months before Adelaide married Eugene.

So I was looking for the death of Adelaide's previous husband, Wichersheimer, and the only possibility was a Phillip who died in 1910. I found Adelaide in the 1910 census, and she was living with a step-daughter Elizabeth (age 27). Then the 1900 census! Adelaide (recorded as Ida L by the census taker) and Phillip are the foster parents of Otto Huebner, age 4, and Selma Huebner, age 2. Elizabeth is there, too, age 17.

So we have a series of connections. Elizabeth age 17 is listed as a daughter of Philip in 1900, and Adelaide has been married to Phillip for 8 years. She does not seem to have natural children of her own, but does have a history of taking care of people. First Otto in 1900, then Elizabeth in 1910, then Elsie in 1915, then Eugene. I don't know where Fannie comes in, but I'd bet she's a relative, too, since they are both Uhdens. Perhaps because Adelaide knew Otto, Elsie also was acquainted with Otto.

Yes, I was very very surprised when I found the only possible Phillip W. in the 1900 census, and there was Otto Huebner living in the same household, with his future step-mother-in-law.

I should probably post my USA findings under the Liebenguth board, and just keep this one open for looking back into Germany. All this info because I posted a request for translating four words about a casualty who ended up not being the Eugene Liebenguth we are researching. Isn't it wonderful how well we all work together? I wonder how many leaders are genealogists...

Mary
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
marylevesque2... 13 Feb 2013 5:32PM GMT 
FamFo 14 Feb 2013 12:22AM GMT 
marylevesque2... 16 Feb 2013 12:45PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions