Search for content in message boards

Runaway from 1860s

Replies: 5

Runaway from 1860s

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 9:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm hoping that there is some truth in some oral history regarding my great-great grandmother, Caroline, was supposedly a runaway when she was 12 or 13. According to her death certificate, funeral entry at her church, and her obituary, she was born in Berlin on February 23, 1853 (but it may have been 1852). The family legend has it that she was the youngest of 13 to 15 children born into a large Polish Catholic family. She met my great-great grandfather, Fred Mittelstaedt (and all variable spellings). Fred was born May 14, 1849 in Obersitzko, Posen, Prussia.

Here comes probably the biggest problem, the spelling of her maiden name. I've counted no less than 12 different spellings: Dasoski, Dochinskia, Dorschinsky, Geschinski, Kuschinski, Lobsirty, Lolcsuty, Schanekow, Talefisky, Taschinski, Tolchisky, Tolschisky. Unfortunately it never has been listed the same twice.

There are two questions that run through my mind, as the story of her being pregnant is possible. I have no idea when or where she and Fred were married and then they were off to America in 1874. The logical question for me is how would they have met? Obersiztko seems to be a bit away from Berlin and he was Evangelical Lutheran, she was Roman Catholic. The more logical possibility to me is Caroline being from the Posen region and just saying "Berlin" because either she didn't think people would know where her village was, or that she didn't want people to know where she really was from.

I've been stuck with this brick wall for 25 years now and I'm willing to try anything. Any insight or help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you so much for any help or suggestions!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
copet1 22 Mar 2013 3:56AM GMT 
cwitze 22 Mar 2013 7:02PM GMT 
copet1 22 Mar 2013 10:52PM GMT 
cwitze 23 Mar 2013 12:14AM GMT 
copet1 23 Mar 2013 12:51AM GMT 
cwitze 23 Mar 2013 5:13PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic