Search for content in message boards

Any insights into this German book of the elders?

Replies: 6

Re: Any insights into this German book of the elders?

Posted: 20 Jul 2013 1:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Jul 2013 1:41AM GMT
Very Interesting indeed. The book was compiled by the man on the cover, he did it out of interest.

The very first sheets of the very first book were written about 1164 and continued to be used until about 1358, but the second book, which incorporated the data from the first and was of added to, was written in the 16th century, i,e, the data was collected for about 600 hundred years.

It was the practice of the day that information of the deceased from one monastery were reported to all the other Benedictine monasteries, and this is how all the mistakes occurred, with copies from copies from copies being made and the quality of the person writing was not always the best.,

The books contains the names of deceased monks and lay persons who worked in the monasteries, but not only in St Lambrecht. The names are from monks a from all the Benedictine monasteries in this part of Europe. Amazing.

The author makes it quite clear that there are lots of mistakes in the books, always had been, with, for instance, names left off when the second book was started (by mistake), transcription errors etc.

He also says that the way people were defined, maybe as regards their position within the monastery, were not always correct, he also says that family members were written in together, but that this does not mean that they died in the same year.

It is therefore to be used as a basis for research, not as the one and only source of information.

A truly fascinating book. Thank you very much for bringing it to my attention, my family also has a monk somewhere, but in Stift Admont.

By the way, depending on where the name of your family member appears, he was either a religious person (Geistliche Person) or lay person (Weltliche Person).

Have fun with your research, it really does broaden one's horizons!!!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bebe333 18 Jul 2013 7:54PM GMT 
BeatrixAnna 19 Jul 2013 6:18AM GMT 
bebe333 19 Jul 2013 12:12PM GMT 
BeatrixAnna 19 Jul 2013 2:35PM GMT 
bebe333 19 Jul 2013 10:00PM GMT 
BeatrixAnna 20 Jul 2013 7:39AM GMT 
bebe333 21 Jul 2013 11:22AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic