Search for content in message boards

Cole or Kohl/Kool immigrants to New England from Germany in mid to late 1600's

Replies: 0

Cole or Kohl/Kool immigrants to New England from Germany in mid to late 1600's

Posted: 2 Nov 2013 12:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cole, Kohl, Kool
My 6th great grandfather Phillip Cole (or some other similarly spelled or sounding surname) may have emigrated from Germany to Massachusetts or nearby area of New England in or around the mid to late 1600's.
I have obtained a 37 marker yDNA result that shows I am not related to any other Cole male who has to date been tested anywhere in the world. This confuses me unless of course my ancestor changed the spelling of his last name when he arrived in America and none of his descendants other than myself has taken the test!
I have been researching our Cole family for many years and until today made the assumption our roots were in the British Isles. But one small item on the 1901 Census of Canada has me thinking of Germany.
Two of my great grandfather's oldest brothers declared on that census that their "racial or tribal origin" was German. My family website is:
http://www.genealogy.com/users/c/o/l/Randy-Cole/index.html
I hope someone reading this will recognize a missing link in their family tree and contact me.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions