Search for content in message boards

Looking For Family Ritterhoff's 1855 and Lenz's 1893

Replies: 7

Re: Looking For Family Ritterhoff's 1855 and Lenz's 1893

Posted: 11 Nov 2013 4:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ritterhoff, Lenz
Bob,

For fear of sounding like a broken record, just know that the thanks is implied.
The advice does help, gives me something to think about at least.

I am envious of your German proficiency, which I realize has happened over years of cultivation and study. But even still, I wish I had insisted my Dad speak German more to me when I was young, now I can only grasp the general idea of the conversation, with no hope of responding in kind. But still, I have considered taking a break and moving to Germany for a while and forcing myself by immersion to learn. Unfortunately, the few short trips I have taken over there have taught me that the young people my age were more interested in speaking English and having me critic their "slang" as it were, then in helping me speak German.

I am taking my own advice on asking stupid questions. How exactly, or better yet, where/who do I ask for my great great grandfather Herman Ritterhoff's Civil War service record? I have looked, but in lue of me searching for hours for the right place to ask, and looking like an idiot to a bunch of people, I will ask only once and perpetuate my already novice-ish-ness (yea, I said that) like appearance.

Also you should know I used your info, and found Henrietta and Charles (Carl) Fritz burial records, and I have tapped into the Ferdinand Schacht family tree. I was walking on sunshine with that bit of info. I am unfortunately a perfectionist, and I want the fathers name for Frank Lenz, but I know it will never be, whatever his name was died with Theresa Lentz. One more question(for today), riddle me this? If his name is L-E-N-Z why is hers L-E-N-T-Z? Is that a weird children-with-no-fathers thing, like John Snow (yes, I threw in a GoT reference), or just a more "English" way of spelling it?

Learning the ways of the force from the ultimate "Yoda" master - I must be getting tired, I am letting my inner nerd out.

Sincerely,
The humble apprentice
Marjorie Lenz-Ritterhoff

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
M_Ritterhoff 10 Nov 2013 6:28AM GMT 
rjbehnen 10 Nov 2013 11:35PM GMT 
M_Ritterhoff 11 Nov 2013 5:09AM GMT 
rjbehnen 11 Nov 2013 6:23PM GMT 
M_Ritterhoff 11 Nov 2013 9:07PM GMT 
rjbehnen 11 Nov 2013 10:10PM GMT 
M_Ritterhoff 11 Nov 2013 11:13PM GMT 
rjbehnen 11 Nov 2013 11:55PM GMT