Looking For Family Ritterhoff's 1855 and Lenz's 1893

Replies: 7

Re: Looking For Family Ritterhoff's 1855 and Lenz's 1893

Posted: 11 Nov 2013 2:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ritterhoff, Lenz
Bob,

Your like Santa, but more secretive.
I almost feel like Aladdin, having just stumbled upon the genie's lamp in the cave of wonders. Once again, thank you!

I realize you are doing this out of the goodness of your heart, and you don't have to help us lowly, floundering, novices. But I'd like to share just a little bit about myself, and why I am so in awe of your work, with the hope that possibly in the future, I can rub your lamp for more helpful hints (Sorry, my puns are terrible).

The short story, giving away as little as possible, and keeping it in Readers Digest form is...

All that is left to me is my immediate family, I never got to know any of my Grandparents, Aunts, or Uncles. I am not complaining, I have great family, but I never got the story of where I came from, which for some reason is important to me - my family thinks I am nuts, spending all this time and energy finding people who have been dead for a hundred years, or more.

I have been a history buff all my life, and I am also a bit of an amateur writer, and a research enthusiast (I volunteered to work in our local museums archives - which needed help - because I love the history/mystery of it). I wanted to be a writer to tell peoples stories, my parents said that I couldn't do it, because I would starve as an artist - sad, but not untrue.

I now have a degree in Sociology/Anthropology, and I am finishing my masters in Social Research (Psychology). I want to go on and get my doctorate, but I need to figure out in what, because at this point, I don't really know, I enjoy a lot of things, but nothing has given me my "Ah,ha!" moment. If such a thing even exists.

Wow! Long way to go to ask, I looked at your public profile, and it says your a professional genealogist. I realize that wasn't a question. My question is, is this something you just do for fun as a byproduct of being a history professor or something akin to it, or do you do this professionally as an actual job? In asking this, I realize that I can't possibly base a life choice on a few short months of a hobby that I have enjoyed a little too much - I will sit down to work on my family tree and not move for 12 hours, it has happened more than once, I realize I have a problem and I am limiting myself now, but it is so addictive - but I would like to ask your opinion, since I have your ear at the moment, and you have been so helpful in giving advice. As they say, the stupidest question in the world, is the one you never ask. So, How can I learn more? Even if I only ever do this just for myself, I would like to know as much as possible.

Thank you again, for taking pity on me, and helping me in my floundering
Sincerely,

Marjorie Lenz-Ritterhoff
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
M_Ritterhoff 10 Nov 2013 6:28AM GMT 
rjbehnen 10 Nov 2013 11:35PM GMT 
M_Ritterhoff 11 Nov 2013 5:09AM GMT 
rjbehnen 11 Nov 2013 6:23PM GMT 
M_Ritterhoff 11 Nov 2013 9:07PM GMT 
rjbehnen 11 Nov 2013 10:10PM GMT 
M_Ritterhoff 11 Nov 2013 11:13PM GMT 
rjbehnen 11 Nov 2013 11:55PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions