The History of Clark County, Wisconsin, compiled by Franklyn Curtiss-Wedge, Chicago and Winona, H.C. Cooper, Jr. & Co., 1918, pp. 324-325
Frederick Sternitzky, one of the pioneers of Lynn Township, now deceased, was born in Kleinujeschitz, Germany, Oct. 26, 1806. His father died when Frederick was 11 years old, and the latter grew up and became a laborer. About 1831 he married Helena Dietz, who was born July 13, 1813, and for some years he continued to reside in Germany, where four children were born to him, Charles, Gottlieb (or James), Susan and William. On June 24, 1840, the family left Germany for America, where they landed after a three months' passage in a sailing vessel. Mr. Sternitzky had no particular place in view when he came, merely wishing to establish a new home in a country of wider opportunities. His first location was at Buffalo, N. Y., but in the following spring he came west to Milwaukee, Wis., and there, or in that vicinity followed the occupation of laborer on farms or otherwise until 1856. While residing there his family was increased by the birth of six more children, John, Ernest, Wilhelmina, Henry, Edward and Albert, the last mentioned of whom, however, died young. In 1856, in company with the Yankee and Kleinschmidt families, Mr. Sternitzky, with his own family, set out for Clark County, driving with a four-ox team and bringing with him two cows and a few household goods. The trip occupied three weeks and for the last three miles the party had to cut their way through the woods, arriving at last at the site of what is now Lynn Village. They located on a tract of 200 acres in Section 8, the oldest son, Charles, buying the land from the Government. Eighty acres of this tract lying in the village of Lynn became the family homestead. Here Mr. Sternitzky built a log house of two rooms, 18 by 28 feet, making his own split shingles and floors and sawing lumber with a rip saw. Their nearest neighbor was two miles away by trail, and Neillsville, Black River Falls and Sparta were their trading posts. From Neillsville supplies had to be carried on the back to the farm. There Mr. Sternitzky made his home for the rest of his life, becoming in time one of the prominent citizens of the township. In religious faith he was a German Lutheran and services were often held in his log house. He also helped to establish the church of that denomination in Grant Township. In his early days he had served in Poland as a soldier in the Germany army, but was a quiet home-like man, of thoroughly honest character, and of great patience in times of trouble and adversity. His life was prolonged to the advanced age of 95 years, terminating Oct. 20, 1901. His wife died Feb. 20, 1900.