Search for content in message boards

Saarbrucken Newspaper Archives?

Replies: 3

Re: AW: Saarbrucken Newspaper Archives?

Posted: 1 Mar 2014 12:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Mar 2014 12:28PM GMT
Hello -

I just saw your post. I have been lucky in finding full-text images of 19th century newspapers from areas in Germany by using Google Books: http://www.google.com/books

However, the challenge, beyond not being familiar with German and only using a good German to English dictionary to help with understanding what is written is the fact that the newspapers of that time period were printed in a specific style of "old German" typeface/font. For those who don't even read German (like me) and then who don't have the training to read that "old German" font, it's almost impossible to be able to translate what is written.

This is a link to an example of what I think was a printed legal notice I found for a person with the name Johannes Schunk and the place name Böckweiler:
(TinyURL link) http://tinyurl.com/l9akgvy
If you copy and paste the link into your browser and go to that page, you will see what I mean about the "old German" font.

Note: I conducted my Google search like this: Böckweiler "Johannes Schunk" (with the quotation marks as indicated to get to the search results)

I'm a librarian and archivist by training (in the USA) and it looks like the only online/electronic archives for the Saarbrücker Zeitung is from 1993 to the present (as cited in the earlier post from kunzstwendel), with the older issues being archived in print or maybe even microfilm format to be searched in person at the archive or archives in Germany which hold them.

This is the challenge of much genealogical research, even in this electronic age. Many records are still only in paper format or have been microfilmed and must be searched in person by hand and by eye, page by page.

Best wishes in your research
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
BrklynBridge 25 Oct 2010 12:26PM GMT 
kunzstwendel 26 Oct 2010 6:06AM GMT 
BrklynBridge 26 Oct 2010 8:32AM GMT 
jdelauche 1 Mar 2014 7:27PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions