Search for content in message boards

Catherine/Katharina L. Linder, b. 1846, m. Jacob Gentes, b. 1841, Settled in Peoria, Illinois, USA

Replies: 0

Catherine/Katharina L. Linder, b. 1846, m. Jacob Gentes, b. 1841, Settled in Peoria, Illinois, USA

Posted: 26 Feb 2014 11:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Linder, Gentes, Sandmeyer, Sandmeier, Sandmaier, Sandmayr, Sandmeir, Sandmayer, Schunk, Schunck, Trier
Hello -

I am helping a friend research some of her family lines from Germany, specifically the towns and areas around Wolfersheim (also found spelled as Wolferscheim and Wulfersheim, note: there is no umlaut over the "o"), Breitfurt, and Böckweiler (with an umlaut over the "o".) All were part of Bavaria/Bayern at one time. Now they are in Saarpfalz-Kreis, Saarland, Germany.

My friend is interested in finding information on Catherine/Katharina L. Linder and her parents. Katharina immigrated from Bavaria/Bayern in 1860 arriving at the Port of New York aboard the Thortere Livergster 11 May 1860. Listed on the passenger list right above her is a Marie Sandmayer, who may have been a relative, since I doubt if any parent would have allowed their 14 year old daughter to travel solo.

According to the 1925 Illinois death record for her (Katherine L. Gentes), she was born 23 Mar 1846, Wolfersheim, Germany. She died 16 Nov 1925, Peoria, Illinois. Her parents' names given in the death record: Jacob Linder and Katherine Sandmeyer. I have found the surname "Sandmeyer" also spelled as: Sandmeier, Sandmaier, Sandmayr, Sandmeir, and Sandmayer. Her parents given names may really have been spelled Jakob and Katharina.

My friend is especially interested in learning the names and birth dates/years of the siblings of Jacob Linder, father of Katharina (who married Jacob Gentes in Illinois), and the names and birth dates/years of any other children of Jacob Linder and his wife Katherine Sandmeyer (or various other spellings of her given name and maiden name.)

A direct ancestor of my friend was a Heinrich/Henry Linder, b. 4 Sep 1852, who immigrated with his wife, Charlotte Schunk Linder, their daughter, Katharina (age about 9 months), and 3 of Charlotte's relatives (surnames: Schunck/Schunk and Trier.) Heinrich Linder, his wife Charlotte, and baby daughter Katharina came from Wolferscheim (spelled like that in the German language ship manifest.) They settled in Peoria, Peoria County, Illinois.

My friend knows the given names of two of Heinrich Linder's brothers: Jacob and Ludwig, but that is all. I haven't been able to find birth/baptismal records or marriage records for Wolfersheim for the right time periods. I have found information indicating that the Protestant church (Lutheran) in Wolfersheim was heavily damaged during World War II and has since been restored. Perhaps the church records I have tried to find were destroyed during WWII, before they could be transcribed and archived elsewhere.

Thank you in advance if anyone can provide some more information or leads.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions