Search for content in message boards

Baumgartens/Zochers in Dresden

Replies: 4

Baumgartens/Zochers in Dresden

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 5:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Baumgartens/Zocher
I'm trying to add to information I have about the family of my great grandfather, Friedrich Moritz Alfred (Known usually as Alfred) BAUMGARTEN, who was born in Dresden on 13 November 1842 and died in Montreal, Canada, on September 3 1919.

What I am interested in is trying to discover if there might be living relatives in Germany. Alfred had a sister who died young in 1852 - she was Johanne Marie Elisabeth Lucie, and there may have been a brother, Leo, but I have been unable to find records for him in Dresden because so much was destroyed in the last War there.

One line of research might be to try to track down the relatives of Alfred's mother. She was born Elise Emilie Zocher on 23 January 1822 in Dresden, married Alfred's father Dr. Friedrich Moritz Oswald Baumgarten in February 1842. He was a pioneering opthalmologist/plastic surgeon who also I believe worked in the Saxon Royal Court. He died young in 1849 (31 July) during a cholera epidemic which followed the insurrection of 1848. I know of no brothers or sisters for him.

Now, it seems that Elise Emilie lived on in Dresden - the family story is that she continued to serve as a lady in waiting at the royal court - and I believe died after 1897. She (it seems) had two brothers and a sister. I don't know their names but if they had issue there may well be relatives alive in the area.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Joe Hackett 15 Jun 2013 11:37AM GMT 
Manatee3 15 Jun 2013 6:32PM GMT 
Joe Hackett 15 Jun 2013 6:50PM GMT 
Manatee3 16 Jun 2013 1:07AM GMT 
Joe Hackett 16 Jun 2013 9:40AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic