Hello, I am looking to try and connect this family.
My great-great-great-grandmother was Dorothea Louise Blunk. I found her daughters birth certificate from Hamburg Germany and her name was written like this:
Dorothea Auguste Luis geb. Blunk
What would "geb." mean, is that a German word for maiden name?
She was born: 26.November.1866 Germany
She Married my Great Great Great-grandfather (Andreas Christian Dinsen / Dinnsen), I do not know where they were married.
He was from Schleswig-Holstein Germany (Ladelund-Ellhoft), and their 2 oldest daughters were born in Hamburg Germany.
It was said in my family that the oldest daughter (Alma) was from a previous man (illegitimate), and he had died in a elevator accident in Germany before she could marry.
My great-great-great -grandfather (Andreas Christian Dinsen / Dinnsen) came to the USA in about 1894-1896 and she came sometime after before 1900 with the 3 girls (the oldest Alma who was born to another man, Erna and Anna both born in Hamburg).
They lived in Brooklyn, New York and 4 more kids, then about 1903 they went to Nebraska by covered wagon.
She could understand English, but could not write or speak it very well, and spoke an old style German native to the Schleswig-Holstein area. She died 14 July 1945 Columbus, Kansas. Her youngest son Harry Dinnsen signed the death Certificate, stating she was a US citizen and that her parents where Heinrick Blunk & Catharina Sandberg. Both her and her husband are buried in Hornet Cemetery, Hornet, Missouri.
1) I have not found any immigration or ship passenger logs for her crossing or becoming a citizen.
2) I have not been able find any birth certs for her in Hamburg.
3) I am thinking it may have been possible she was in the US, then went back to Germany and married my great-great-great-grandfather.... although that is a stretch and has never been stated by anyone in our family.
4) What German cities would have elevators for her first husband to be killed by one?
5) The illegitimate daughter also stated in all her census, and in her Obit, that she was a US citizen, and was born in New York 1888. The problem with that, is the next two younger girls Erna, and Anna were born in Hamburg Germany.
I am thankful for anyone's response, suggestions and assistance.