Search for content in message boards

Fuehr, Gutwasser, and Feigenspohn from Prussia/Germany to Illinois

Replies: 10

Fuehr, Gutwasser, and Feigenspohn from Prussia/Germany to Illinois

Posted: 17 Mar 2008 12:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Fuehr Fuhr Gutwasser Feigenspohn Feigenspan Feigenspan
Hello everyone, I am looking for information on the Fuehr (Fuhr), Gutwasser and Feigenspohn (Feigenspahn, Feigenspan?) families of Muhlhausen (Muelhausen) Thuringen (Thuringia), Prussia/Germany. I know that this respelling seems redundant, but I have several different spelling and locations from different sources and I’m not entirely sure how these names were all spelled originally in German and English. Some records reference Germany while others reference Prussia and few have the same spelling for names, so please bear with me. I’ll write my situation first, then condense the information at the end:

My great great grandmother, Clara Ann (Fuehr) Stork, was born Quincy, Adams Co, Illinois, USA. Her parents were both immigrants from what is written on records and printed on an old photograph of some family member as Mulhausen, Thuringen.

Adolph John Fuehr (perhaps Adolf Johannes Fuhr or something along those lines originally) was born December 22nd, 1836, in Mulhausen, Thuringen. My grandmother’s records, a genealogist in her own day, show the country as Germany, but American census records say simply Prussia. I know these are essentially the same place, but I am including them both here anyhow. He came to the United States sometime before 1875, as he and his wife Anna Marie Gutwasser were married January 7th, 1875 in Quincy, Adams Co, Illinois, USA. Adolph’s mother M. Juliana (Feigenspohn, also spelled Feigenspahn) Fuehr and sister Johanna Fuehr also came to America. M Juliana lived with Adolph and his family until her death April 14th, 1888 in Quincy, Illinois.

Anna Marie Gutwasser was born September 26th, 1849, also in Muhlhausen, Thuringen. Again, I have references to both Prussia and Germany, both of which apply. Adolph and Anna had the children Frederick, Minnie, Carl, Clara Ann, William, and Jewel Fuehr, all in Quincy, Illinois. Anna died in Quincy February 16th, 1902 and Adolph did the same February 16th, 1908.

I don’t know much about Anna’s parents, including names, beside the fact that they were both born in Prussia, as said on an Illinois census. I do know that Anna’s mother was still alive when Anna died.

Adolph’s mother, M. Juliana (Feigenspohn) Fuehr was born May 18th, 1810 in Prussia. Adolph’s father Christian Fuehr was born in Prussia and died there before 1857.

I’ve pieced this information so far from various records and family history, but I’ve come to a bit of a dead end. If anyone could help me with these families, I would deeply appreciate it.

Here it all is again, a little more neatly. Please, keep in mind that all spelling is flexible, although the dates are pretty set in stone.

Adolph John Fuehr
Born: 22 Dec 1836 in Muhlhausen, Thuringen, Prussia/Germany
Died: 16 Feb 1908 in Quincy, Adams Co, Illinois, US

Married: 7 Jan 1875
To: Anna Marie Gutwasser
Born: 26 Sep 1849 in Muhlhausen, Thuringen, Prussia/Germany

Children:
Fredrick Fuehr - born: 1875
Minnie Fuehr – born: 1878
Carl A Fuehr – born: 16 May 1883 – died: Mar 1966
Clara Ann Fuehr – born: Jan 14 1885 in Quincy, Adams County, Illinois, USA – died: 7 Oct 1968 in Butte, Montana, USA
William Fuehr – born: 1887
Jewel Fuehr – born: 1889

Adolph John Fuehr’s parents were:

Christiam Fuehr
Born: UNKNOWN DATE in Prussia/Germany
Death: before 1857 in Prussia/Germany
Married: UNKNOWN DATE in Prussia/Germany
To: M. Juliana Fiegenspohn
Born: 18 May 1810 in Germany/Prussia
Died: 14 Apr 1888 in Quincy, Adams Co, Illinois, USA

Children:
Adolph John Fuehr
Johanna Fuehr – born: UNKNOWN, probably in Muhlhausen, Thuringen, Prussia/Germany

Again, anything would be appreciated.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JDJames89 17 Mar 2008 6:20AM GMT 
lanarman 6 Apr 2009 8:12PM GMT 
JDJames89 23 Feb 2013 12:49AM GMT 
meb183 22 Feb 2013 8:32PM GMT 
lanarman 23 Feb 2013 12:29AM GMT 
meb183 23 Feb 2013 11:04AM GMT 
lanarman 1 Mar 2013 12:49AM GMT 
JDJames89 3 Mar 2013 1:32AM GMT 
james feahr 28 Aug 2013 8:40PM GMT 
JDJames89 28 Aug 2013 10:05PM GMT