Search for content in message boards

Genzel in Muehlhausen, Thueringia

Replies: 3

Genzel in Muehlhausen, Thueringia

Posted: 17 Nov 2004 3:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
What I have: declaration of intent for Gottfried Genzel states only date 12 Dec 1847, and country - Prussia. Declaration for brother Heinrich Genzel, July 7, 1851, Prussia. Both brothers in 1850 census, Syracuse, New York where they lived out their lives. Early census say they were born Prussia, later, just Germany with parents from Prussia. Both men married in U. S., presume Syracuse, both Lutheran. Attempts to read church records for dates of marriage (before 1850 census for Gottfried, abt 1856 for Heinrich) as yet unsuccessful. Smeared ink and miniscule script. Death certificates and church death records, of course supplied by living family do not give parents. Headstone of Heinrich indicated a Julianna b 1797, d. 25 April 1858, but she was not originally buried in Woodlawn, but at Rose Hill, and was moved in 1913 when Rose Hill was being demolished and as I believe the stone was inscribed then, the date of birth may have come from Rose Hill's record indicating her death at age 61. Rose Hill's records also did not have the name Julianna for that date, but "Barvel". Woodlawn has "her?" as Julian A.
Best clues from a book "Geschichte der Deutschen"etc, about prominent Germans who helped to settle Syracuse. The book was published by the local German newspaper, the "Syracuse Union" in 1897. Both Heinrich and Gottfried died in 1899, so I'd guess the info to be correct as they remember it. It descibes in flowery language how the two were pillars of the community and salt of the earth, respected, etc, and says that both came from Muhlhausen, Thuringen, that both went to Zimmermans handwerk-carpenter trade school - that Gottfried was born 30 mai 1821 and Heinrich 14 Sept 1823, that Gottfried came to Amerika in 1847 as a carpenter and stairmaker, and Heinrich , if I translated properly, was in Berlin at the time of the 1848 revolution, and came to Amerika, Feb 1849. The two were heavily involved with Cornelius Vanderbilt and others, both as builders and contractors in the city of Syracuse on some major projects; sadly, many of which have been torn down.
Any Genzels left in Germany who might recognize two brothers who maybe sent letters home? They were educated and successful; not wealthy, but owned their homes and other properties. I'd guess that their parents were not poor as the boys went to school instead of being laborers or farmers.
Any Lutheran church records survive that era? If the church is still there, I'll write directly; or I"ll try FHL microfim if I can pin down the area. Any suggestions welcome
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
aurina 17 Nov 2004 10:26PM GMT 
aurina 19 Jul 2005 1:39PM GMT 
M Umpherson 18 Jan 2006 3:00AM GMT 
aurina 2 Feb 2013 12:46AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic