Search for content in message boards

KOZELKA from Pisek?

Replies: 8

From Laurie Ann - Kozelka update from over the years since 199x

Posted: 8 Apr 2013 3:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Apr 2013 3:52AM GMT
Surnames: KOZELKA - WALESCH - MARES - MARESH
For Clarification (I DO come from the main line of Vaclav Kozelka), and here's what we have so far.
Vaclav Kozelka m. Marie Walesch in Bohemia.
They came over on the SS Frankfurt Aug 3, 1872, with the following on board:
Wenzel (aka: Vaclav, Wenceslaus, James) 38
Marie 29
Franz 9
Josef 6 (my great grandfather)
Marie 6 months (twin of Thomas)
Thomas 6 months (twin of Marie)
Records reflect Marie Walesch Kozelka d. 5-1-1880, but nothing has been found to show WHERE she is buried. Anne Kozelka (Anne Mares/Maresh) m. Vaclav in 1880, as she IS listed as his wife (of 20 yrs) on the 1900 census. Thomas Kozelka (twin) is NOT found after being listed on the ship records. John IS another sibling, but he did not come over until he was 12 (5/3/1879, according to his Naturalization Papers, but I have not searched the records yet to find the ship he came over on). SO these ARE the children of Vaclav and Marie. The children of Vaclav and Anne Mares/Maresh are on the 1900 census and other records and are half-siblings to the others. Anne (Anna) was listed on the 1900 census as "mother of 11, with 10 living" as there was NO way on the census to show she was the "step-mother" to some. So she was the step-mother of 6: FRANK, JOSEF, JOHN, MARIE, THOMAS (DECEASED), AND JAMES (B. 1877 in Cleveland, to Marie and Vaclav and on the 1880 census). Since the 1880 census was taken after Marie's death, Vaclav IS shown as a Widower, and he did have a servant "Katie". The info from the census is below, and notice that Thomas is nowhere to be found. I haven't located ANY records on him to this date. I can only assume he died after arriving in 1873 and before 1880.
Self James W. Kozelka M 47 Czechoslovakia
Son Frank Kozelka M 16 Czechoslovakia
Son Joseph Kozelka M 14 Czechoslovakia
Son John Kozelka M 12 Czechoslovakia
Daughter Mary Kozelka F 7 Czechoslovakia
Son James Kozelka M 3 Ohio, United States
Other Katie Valseva F 19 Czechoslovakia
James, the last child of Marie and Vaclav was born in 1877, but there's confusion here, too, as there are TWO James Kozelka's born in 1877, in various records, at least these seem like 2 different one's, so not all is clear here, either. So this is 6 siblings accounted for here, and Anna/Anne is listed as mother of 11, with 10 living, i.e., Thomas is assumed to have passed away. I have no idea why Marie died, as she IS in the land records as having purchase property in/or about 1879. Her Letters of Admin of her estate are available online, showing the ages of the children in 1881, also.
As for Anna/Anne Mares/Maresh Kozelka & Vaclav, I can only ASSUME they were married, as I have not found a record of their marriage yet. But assuming that, the children on the 1900 census were:
James b. Aug 1939 & Anna b. Mar 1850, married 20 yrs (1880)
Charles, son, 17, b. Jun 1883 (he was a policeman later in life)
Annie, dau, 13, b. May 1887,
Edward, son, 11, b. Aug 1888,
Bertha, dau, 9, b. 1890,
Stella, dau, 7, b. 1892,
Thus, this accounts for ALL 11 children listed for Anne/Anna, with full explanations. James/Vaclav’s birth year varies on a LOT of records, so his year of birth IS not accurate, either.

NOW... I have found NO information on ANY of these half-siblings to my Kozelka line, but I would LOVE to find the kin down this line, too! I do know that Charles did become a Cleveland Policeman. I have some info of the children of a few of these Kozelka's, but not far enough down to locate the children still living.

So if anyone has any further updates, I would greatly appreciate your info! This has been an exhausting search and one that continues. Although we had a house fire in 2007 and I have had to put all this on hold, as it has taken all these years to rebuild the house (as I did the work myself) and I am now finishing up my doctoral degree, and I have had to put all this on hold till I finish my degree (hopefully this year!). So I may be reached at LABieber at aol dot com (you'll have to type that as a proper email, as it is not allowed in here). So I hope I have clarified many more areas for the Kozelka line!

My direct line:
Vaclav & Marie (Walesch) Kozelka
...Josef b. 1866 m. Anna Prajnstajn
......Joseph Otto b. 1887 m Josephine Bulan
...........Joseph James Richard Blasé b. 1922m. Bettie Bowie
...............Allen James
...............Laurie Ann
Happy Searching... Laurie Ann (Kozelka) Bieber
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Kim Allen 15 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT 
GREGKLOB 23 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT 
marilyn 9 Mar 2004 5:39PM GMT