places in Bohemia

Replies: 33

Re: places in Bohemia

Posted: 28 Aug 2013 10:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Aug 2013 2:05PM GMT
Surnames: Schreiner, Bar, Lex, Hoffmann, Werner, Schonbacher, Herbst, Jungwirth
Hi, Maresli!

I ran across your posts while looking up some family info for a coworker. Her immigrant ancestors are Josef SELBITSCHKA and his wife Rosalia HEINZL, and Josef SEEWALD (all from Furstenhut), and Josef Seewald's wife Theresia STRUNZ from Huttl. The genealogy was drafted in 1981 and at that time, they thought they wouldn't be able to find out any more info. It includes a short story about the town, and describes a sad 1954 visit to Furstenhut by Anne Wegscheider and Louise Dankelmann Wegscheider.

So I'm eager to see the family history you have online. I will pass it on to her.

Turns out Furstenhut is just 15 miles northwest of the town I've been researching: Guthausen, now Dobrá. A former resident of Guthausen wrote a history of the town from around 1810 to the present. It includes some of the surnames (Faschingbauer, Wastl, Jarosch) and town names (Langhaid, Winterberg) that I'm seeing in my coworker's family tree so yes, they did move around to other towns.

The main reason they moved was the custom that the oldest son would inherit the family's land and younger siblings would have to move on and scope out their own land elsewhere, or marry into land ownership. I also suspect that as the guys reached marrying age, they traveled around to meet a bride in neighboring towns; otherwise, courtship in those small towns would make for a lot of inbreeding.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jdwoermke 2 Oct 2013 2:43PM GMT 
parjaf 2 Jan 2012 1:18AM GMT 
maresli 2 Jan 2012 7:29PM GMT 
parjaf 2 Jan 2012 8:59PM GMT 
parjaf 2 Jan 2012 9:00PM GMT 
maresli 2 Jan 2012 9:08PM GMT 
parjaf 3 Jan 2012 12:04AM GMT 
parjaf 3 Jan 2012 4:12PM GMT 
maresli 3 Jan 2012 4:48PM GMT 
LBernin 28 Aug 2013 4:22PM GMT 
per page