Search for content in message boards

Koenigreich, Boehmen

Replies: 6

Re: Koenigreich, Boehmen

Belinda (View posts)
Posted: 13 Oct 2004 8:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Dear Bonita, I am in a bit if a hurry as I am going away for a ferw days but I'll give some quick answers and if you like to e-mail me direct (belinda@haling.freeserve.co.uk) to say what else is missing I'll see what I can do.

para.1: Could I suggest that you feed any place names you have directly into your search engine - it is surprising what turns up - obviously it may be in German but at least you know some information is there. Also if you feed "German-Polish place names" ditto you can find lists of places which have changed names, German-Polish, Polish-German. May not be comprehensive but can be very useful. One list also covers places like Kaliningrad which is now Russian. The matter of Steingrund, Austrisa is easily explained. Bohemia which ended up as part of Czechoslovakia after 1919 had been part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Preussen, called Prussia in English, was part of the German Empire. Both empires covered endless different groups of people with endless languages but in casual parlance they would say they came from "Austria" or "Germany" as well as saying they came from, e.g. Koenigreich Boehmen or Preussen. I think you might aid yourself if you get a couple of 19th century maps oif Europe to get a visual image of what I am saying. A look at what ensued after 1919 and 1945 would also help. Any good historical atlas should show you.

para. 2: sentence 2. "The baptism books for 1795-1807 are missing from the Evangelical Achives for Waldenburg, Schlesien.

"The little son of Johann Gottlieb Hilmer, Lohnweber (I do not know this word but feel pretty sure he was a free-lance weaver) and lodger and his wife Anna Rosina, nee Poltin, born at 03.00 on 14 January 1794 was baptised swith the names Johann Gottlieb".

This means that marriage of the parents Hilmer and Poltin was earlier than 1794.

Final para.: The fact that Steingrund is mentioned as being in both "Austria" and "Preussen" (Germany) could easily be explained just by the name. Steingrund simply means "stony/stone ground" - a geographical feature which could quite easily be repeated almost anywhere - they spoke (more or less!) the same language so a village with such a feature could quite easily appear more than once both sides of the border.

Hope this helps, let me know if I can help again.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Gunney 9 Apr 2002 7:02PM GMT 
Belinda 11 Apr 2002 8:57AM GMT 
George Van de Water 11 Apr 2002 3:37PM GMT 
Bonita Hillme... 13 Oct 2004 1:44PM GMT 
Belinda 13 Oct 2004 2:42PM GMT 
Bonita Hillme... 13 Oct 2004 3:20PM GMT 
Leslie John H... 17 Jan 2013 6:30AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic