Search for content in message boards

1850 Immigrants from Bohemia

Replies: 3

1850 Immigrants from Bohemia

Posted: 14 Nov 2006 12:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: FIALA, SCHULZ/SCHULTZ/SULC
I am looking for information about Frank (Franz) Fiala (b. 1832) who immigrated from Bohemia prior to 1850 and settled in St. Louis. I have been unable to locate his immigration in Leo Baca's books or in any of the on-line sources. I have also tried Jan Habenicht's book. It is possible he came alone as he was living with another family in the 1850 census (the Skeflig (sp?) family). He married Mary Schulz (Schultz) (b. 1841 Bohemia) daughter of Joseph and Barbara Schulz in 1857 in St. Louis. The Schulz family arrived in NY via Liverpool in 1852 (possibly from Prague) and then continued to St. Louis. The parish records for the marriage indicate that Frank Fiala was the son of "Wenceslai Fiala, lanionis in app____ Brexy in Bohoemia." Which I understand to mean "Wenceslaus Fiala, butcher ________ in Brexy, Bohemia." I cannot find any city or region that used to be called Brexy. The closest I can find is Brux, sometimes Bruex, which is now Most, Czech. If anyone has information about the families, Bohemian immigrants to St. Louis in this time, how to figure out where "Brexy" was or suggestions on where to look next, I would really appreciate it.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
missourifiala 14 Nov 2006 7:51PM GMT 
ZBeca 14 Nov 2006 11:30PM GMT 
missourifiala 27 Nov 2006 2:57AM GMT 
beetlevick 2 Apr 2013 1:32AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions