Search for content in message boards

Snina District Immigrants

Replies: 17

Snina District Immigrants

Posted: 26 Nov 2002 5:28AM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Edited: 15 Jun 2006 7:37AM GMT
I've started this not so little project of trying to organize the immigrants from NE Slovakia that came through Ellis Island. NE Slovakia being defined as the current Snina okres [district] of Slovakia. I've selected some 34 villages within that district. All these villages were in the old Hungarian county of Zemplen.

I've figured out how to methodically go through search patterns to develop a good compilation of the immigrants that came from a village [though some villages are a lot harder than others]. One problem is a lack of familiarity with surnames [spelling] within a village. In general, it's remarkable how different one village's surnames are from another village just a few miles away. Which is why I'm posting to this thread. <s>

I'm looking for a few volunteers to review the "village building" that I've done for the villages that I've started and help identify "correct" spellings of surnames...or continue with the effort for that village...or....perhaps volunteer for other villages within that district. I've written up a fairly detailed explanation of the method that should be easy to follow.

Below is a list of the villages within the Snina district that are part of the effort and I've put an * after those villages that I have started. I expect at least a majority of the district will be "published" somewhere on the web after the beginning of the year. If you're interested in helping, give me a "jingle". You can e-mail me at jnickel$madasafish.com
Change the $ to an @

Cheers,
Jim

Belá nad Cirochou *
Brezovec
ÄŒukalovce
Dlhé nad Cirochou *
Dúbrava
Hostovice
Hrabová Roztoka
Jalová *
Kalná Roztoka
Klenová
Kolbasov
Kolonica
Ladomirov
Michajlov
Nová Sedlica
Osadné or Telepovce
Parihuzovce
Pčoliné
Pichne *
Príslop
Runina
Ruská Volová
Ruský Potok
Å migovec
Snina *
Stakčín *
Stakčínska Roztoka *
Strihovce
Topoľa
Ubľa *
Ulič *
Uličské Krivé *
Zboj *
Zemplínske Hámre [Sninské Hámre] *
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
gensearch2 26 Nov 2002 12:28PM GMT 
Rick Spilly 6 Aug 2003 10:00PM GMT 
VacendakD 6 Dec 2011 6:26AM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 6 Dec 2011 3:00PM GMT 
gensearch2 6 Dec 2011 4:51PM GMT 
rrohan133 24 Dec 2012 10:06AM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 24 Dec 2012 12:47PM GMT 
gensearch2 24 Dec 2012 1:21PM GMT 
cahrichak 24 Mar 2013 3:17AM GMT 
rrohan133 24 Mar 2013 8:14AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions