Search for content in message boards

Kankowski, Kankowsky and other variations from Lada, Poland.

Replies: 4

Kankowski, Kankowsky and other variations from Lada, Poland.

Posted: 20 Sep 2012 12:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kankowski, Kankowsky, Kenkewsky
I'm looking for relatives from Lada in Lublin Province, Poland. The name has various spellings, Kankowski, Kankowsky, Kankoski, Kenkewsky, Kenkewski, Kinkowski, Kinkewsky. They are listed as being born in Russia but I believe it was occupied Poland at the time.

I know that Sebastian Kankowski, Sr. was married to Anastasia Maseimowna. They had at least three sons that I can find. Sylvester, Sebastian Jr, and Laurence. Two came to Canada, to the Hamilton/Welland area.

Sylvester was born abt 1881, he came to Canada about 1911. He died in 1926 at the age of 45 in Welland, Ontario. I know he was married but I have no name for her except Mrs Kankowsky. Melrose Park is listed as the address. He is buried at Holly Cross Cemetery in Welland, Ontario.

Sebastian Jr came to Canada (or at least landed at Ellis Island in New York) March 8, 1910, he was abt 33. He married Eve Ladinak or Ladniak, (parents: Hyacinth Ladinak and Mary Koleglasawna) on May 27, 1912 in Hamilton, Ontario at St. Stanislau's Church on Barton Street. They have at least one son that I can verify, John Kankowsky, born June 26, 1913 in Wentworth,Ontario. I can find no other records of either Sebastian or John. I believe there was another son named Stanley, he died at the age of 31 from leukemia.

Sebastian sponsored Laurence's son Antoni. He was born May 25, 1890 and died April 28, 1977. He came to Canada (landed at Ellis Island) July 27, 1911.They lived at 377 Sier***re Street. He married Katarzyna Sobstyl (father: Karmiser Sobstyl) Oct 3, 1914. She was born Feb 26, 1889 (near Lada, Poland) and died Jan 17, 1962 in Hamilton, Ontario. She came to Canada April 19, 1913. She and a friend, Marya Olik, came to live with a cousin of Olik's on Sherman Avenue, Hamilton, Ontario. Katarzyna Sobstyl may have a cousin or brother named Lukoza that came to Canada just weeks before she did.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
manitoulin_is... 20 Sep 2012 6:04PM GMT 
Emily Kankows... 26 Nov 2012 7:43PM GMT 
manitoulin_is... 27 Nov 2012 12:21AM GMT 
toxiconus 26 Nov 2012 10:14PM GMT 
manitoulin_is... 27 Nov 2012 12:20AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions