Search for content in message boards

Kusion in/near Ruda Kameralna, Filipowice

Replies: 9

Kusion in/near Ruda Kameralna, Filipowice

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 9:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kusion Niemiec Czuba
Hi, I am looking for any information about the last name Kusion and where it truly originated from. I have searched the Tarnow Roman Catholic archives and found a surprising number of Kusion records, even though that last name does not seem like much of a Polish name at all. However, with shifting of political boundaries around the time they lived, I have found it hard to trace the ethnicity of the name. I believe it could have been Czech or German in origin but would appreciate any help.

At some point after immigrating to the US, an "h" was added to the last name and became Kushion, which is pronounced the same as "cushion", but sometimes has been mistaken as French. There was a family myth that our last name was once Kushinski, or something similar, but I believe that to simply be a local joke derived from our Polish origins. The Polish language and most of the customs have since died out.

Lately I have been playing with Google translate and came across Kuszo(n), derived from "kuszony", which means "tempted". There could be a connection there.

In particular, I descend from a Jan A. Kusion (most likely born in the 1850's) who married a Mary Niemiec/Czuba. I am not sure if this is one person or two. They had Andrew (1873), Mary (1879), John (1883), Albert (1885), and Michael (1888). There are two other possible children: Joseph (1876), whose mother is recorded as Mary Czuba while the others are recorded with Niemiec, and Katarzyna (1870), who was born in the same house as the Andrew and whose mother's last name was transcribed as "Niemice", which could simply be a misspelling. I have not found much information on Katarzyna (Catherina) although I haven't made that a priority.

I believe all of his children immigrated to the United States between 1905 and 1915 and at least five of them made their home in Michigan. I have found the passenger records for Andrew, Mary, John, and Michael and all of them list some variation of Ruda Kameralna as their home village.

Joseph and his 2nd wife died in 1935, leaving his children orphaned and later scattered. I still haven't found two of his children or his first wife. At some point the descendants of one of his daughters made it back over the Atlantic and they now reside in Belgium. I've had some contact with them, but they seem to have as much trouble with our surname as I have.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Heather Kushi... 28 Nov 2012 4:44AM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 28 Nov 2012 3:12PM GMT 
stanuszekjs 23 Jan 2013 3:18AM GMT 
Heather Kushi... 23 Jan 2013 5:56AM GMT 
stanuszekjs 24 Jan 2013 1:08AM GMT 
mgwhite183 21 Feb 2013 7:59PM GMT 
stanuszekjs 22 Feb 2013 1:41AM GMT 
mgwhite183 26 Feb 2013 1:27PM GMT 
stanuszekjs 26 Feb 2013 2:24PM GMT 
mgwhite183 27 Feb 2013 12:34AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions