Search for content in message boards

Bis from Nisko or Pysznica

Replies: 18

Re: Bis from Nisko or Pysznica

Posted: 15 Dec 2012 12:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bis, Sroka
Hi Ravenstolemoon,

Thank you so much for filling in the gaps!

You and my wife are second cousins once removed :)

Ancestry.com does not make it easy for non-paying members to connect directly. You can try writing to me at atolkachev@gmail.com if you want to talk more about the Bis family (Sroka family is only related to us by marriage).

Is baby stephanie your aunt, Klara and Frank's daughter? Sorry about both your grandparents not living long enough.

One thing you will find interesting is that Klara and Josephine had a third sister, and she is one who went to Canada. Josephine lived her whole life in Youngstown, OH, and died and old lady in 1976. In fact, there were four Bis sisters altogether. I think the fourth one went to France.

Do you have an approximate year and place of Klara's death? Did they always live in Passaic, NJ, or did they move about a bit?

Sroka is Polish for magpie, pretty close to blackbird as you said.

Sroka is a Jewish name. The Bis were almost certainly Polish Catholic. I think Frank may have converted to Catholicism to marry Klara. I think it was typical in mixed families for the husband to convert to wife's religion. Josephine's son was raised Catholic and converted to Ukrainian Orthodox and was excommunicated by the Catholic church.

Again, thank you for making the connection.

I wonder if you have any photos of Klara, perhaps with her sisters, or know anything about their parents and hometown. Their father was Jan, according to Josephines's obituary, and that's all I know. Their hometown was most likely Pyznica.

Not sure if your parents or aunts and uncles are alive and have any records or memories. I would love to hear more about Klara and, perhaps, her sisters, especially Josephine.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ZlaticaBeca 23 Nov 2012 2:11AM GMT 
atolkachev 23 Nov 2012 7:59PM GMT 
atolkachev 16 Dec 2011 7:59PM GMT 
ZlaticaBeca 16 Dec 2011 8:33PM GMT 
wlmoskal86 29 Nov 2012 5:28AM GMT 
atolkachev 15 Dec 2012 6:46AM GMT 
wlmoskal86 16 Dec 2012 6:23AM GMT 
Ravenstolemoo... 14 Dec 2012 7:20PM GMT 
atolkachev 15 Dec 2012 7:17AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic