Search for content in message boards

Kurko, Trusz, Fidurko, Jarosz, Duda in Dąbrowica, Kuryłówka, Leżajsk, Podkarpackie

Replies: 12

Kurko, Trusz, Fidurko, Jarosz, Duda in Dąbrowica, Kuryłówka, Leżajsk, Podkarpackie

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 11:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Mar 2013 9:50PM GMT
Surnames: Kurko, Trusz, Fidurko, Jarosz, Duda
I am seeking any records for my family. My mother's maiden name was Kurko, and her paternal grandparents were Zachary Charles and Justina (Trusz) Kurko, who were both born in Dąbrowica, Kuryłówka, Leżajsk, Podkarpackie, Poland (then Austria). Zachary Charles Kurko was born 06 September 1878, a son of Joannis and Fema (Fidurko) Kurko. Justina Trusz was born 10 October 1886, a daughter of Dimitri and Eva (Jarosz) Trusz. Zachary and Justina immigrated to the United States in 1902 on the "Blucher" and went to Derby, Connecticut, before moving to Jefferson County, Ohio. They were married 22 July 1905 in the Saint Adalbert Roman Catholic Church in Dillonvale, Jefferson County, Ohio, and they later moved to Barton and Bellaire in Belmont County, Ohio, and were the parents of nine children, seven of whom reached adulthood, and are all now deceased. They lived on the same street where my mother and I have lived all of our lives. Justina died 22 May 1933, and Zachary followed on 10 September 1954. Justina was shown as "Hanka Trusz" on the immigration manifest, at least I am almost certain that it is my great grandmother, Justina Trusz. I do wish I knew for certain, and hope that may be possible to have proof in the near future.

I do not know if Zachary had siblings, and I know nothing about Joannis and Fema or their ancestors. I know that Justina had brothers and sisters. Bessie, Mary, and John Trusz, who I know nothing about, are the only names that I know, except her sister, Tecla/Tekla Trusz who immigrated to the United States and lived in the house next door to me. She married John Duda on 01 June 1916 in Belmont County, Ohio. John Duda was born in the nearby village of Sloboda, and was the son of Michael and Mary (Studenek) Duda. He had at least two siblings; brothers, Theodore and Zachary Duda, who also immigrated to the United States. John Duda died 19 January 1956 and Tecla followed on 17 December 1962. Justina, Tecla, Bessie, Mary, and John supposedly had at least two other siblings; brothers who were still living in the old country in 1933 according to one of Justina's 1933 obituaries, which stated this information. However, no names were given. I also know nothing about Dimitri and Eva, or any further ancestors.

As for other relations: Whether Zachary had siblings or not remains a mystery, but he did have cousins who were almost undoubtedly brothers to one another. Zachary did know these three cousins, but it is unknown exactly how they were connected. These cousins were Peter, John/Dionizi, and Thomas Kurko, who were sons of George and Tekla (Motil) Kurko. I am just assuming that George was a brother to my great great grandfather Joannis Kurko, but there is no proof. Thus my assumption would be that Zachary was a first cousin to Peter, John/Dionizi, and Thomas Kurko. Peter Kurko died 10 March 1910, John/Dionizi Kurko died 22 June 1968, and Thomas Kurko died 08 June 1967. They were all married and had children. Peter married Anaztazia Szewczyk about 1900 possibly near Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania. After Peter's death in 1910, Anaztazia returned to the old country for a time (there is an intriguing story here) and later returned to the United States and remarried to John Groth on 13 August 1914 in Saint Clairsville, Belmont County, Ohio, and had more children. They once lived on my street in Bellaire, Belmont County, Ohio, and later moved to Chicago, Illinois where John died in 1962, and Anaztazia died in 1965. Anaztazia Szewczyk Kurko Groth was the daughter of Stanislaw and Julana (Jarosz) Szewczyk. It is highly assumed that my great grandmother Justina and her siblings were cousins with Anaztazia, as their mother's maiden names were both Jarosz. I do not have proof exactly how they were cousins, but my assumption is that my great great grandmother, Eva (Jarosz) Trusz was a sister to Julana (Jarosz) Szewczyk, making them first cousins. Thus Zachary Kurko's cousin (Peter Kurko) married Justina Trusz Kurko's cousin (Anaztazia Szewczyk Kurko Groth). Thomas Kurko also moved to Chicago Illinois, sometime between 1911 and 1917.

There was also a Rosa (Nokavitska) Kurko who died in Martins Ferry, Belmont County, Ohio on 14 January 1956. I have her obituary, and have searched for her tombstone. I do not think she has a tombstone. The funeral home records and her obituary both state that she was the widow of Elder Kurko who died in 1930. I can find no death information for this Elder Kurko. I cannot, at this point, find ANY proof of his existence.

I am praying that I can find any information from the old country. To date, I have absolutely no documents from the old country. I am seeking birth/baptism, marriage, and death records for anyone. ....Joannis and Fema Fidurko Kurko, Dimitri and Eva Jarosz Trusz, Michael and Mary Studenek Duda, George and Teka Motil Kurko, Stanislaw and Julana Jarosz Szewczyk... anyone!

Thanks so much if anyone knows anything! I was named after my great grandfather, Zachary Charles Kurko (1878-1954).
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
zlofton86 24 Mar 2013 5:22PM GMT 
jhzs 24 Mar 2013 11:44PM GMT 
zlofton86 25 Mar 2013 3:54AM GMT 
jhzs 25 Mar 2013 7:38AM GMT 
zlofton86 26 Mar 2013 5:01PM GMT 
jhzs 26 Mar 2013 5:54PM GMT 
zlofton86 26 Mar 2013 6:31PM GMT 
zlofton86 18 Mar 2014 2:49AM GMT 
jhzs 18 Mar 2014 6:52AM GMT 
zlofton86 18 Mar 2014 12:35PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions