Search for content in message boards

Help Sought With Polish-to-English Translation

Replies: 2

Help Sought With Polish-to-English Translation

Posted: 23 Feb 2014 3:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Warchoł, Czajkowicz
I have been using Internet resources in my attempt to translate some photos, but have hit a wall; I do not speak Polish. The first photo relates to an upcoming wedding. There is thread sewn onto the photo, maybe what will be used on the dress. My best transription of the Polish text is "Tylko prosze sie nie wystraszyć i nikomu nie pokazywać gdy bedzię lepsze może ślubne to paśle." But the best I could get in English was pure gibberish: "Just please do not scare yourself and no one can show the wedding perhaps will be a better this shepherd." [It's OK for all those who speak Polish to stop laughing now. I know, it's bad.]

The second photo is of the entire family immediately after the wedding. The groom, who wrote the note on the back, also wrote numbers next to certain individuals so they could be identified. Here is my attempt at the original Polish: "Kochana Ciociu! Pod 1 jest mamusia; 2 - tatus; 3- ciotka żony swzaszka; 5 [illegible word] brat ojca mojego Stanek z Jareniowki; 6 - brat Stefek tylko źle wypadł."

What I get for English is: "Dear Aunt! At 1 is mom, 2 - Daddy, 3 - aunt wife swzaszka [I wonder if the groom mispelled the word szwaczka (seamstress), then this could be: "wife's aunt the seamstress"]; 5 [illegible word] my father's brother Stanek of Jareniowki [I know I have the name of the city incorrect], 6 - Stefek only brother fell ill."

I have attached the revserse side of each photo so people can read the original writing for themselves. I do not know when these messages were written, my guess is sometime between 1920 and 1930.

As background in case it might relate to regional use of language, the the families were from the Bryły/Jasłow area of Poland. That is why I have placed this post here under Podkarpackie. I have some other posts under Podkarpackie regarding the Warchoł family, and these photos are from that family. "Tatus" here is the same man depicted in the photos attached to my other posts. The aunt to whom the note was directed was my late grandmother, Suzanna Czajkowicz.

Thank you to anyone who can help.

David
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DavidJMagdzia... 23 Feb 2014 10:41PM GMT 
Stanislaw Sro... 24 Feb 2014 12:49AM GMT 
DavidJMagdzia... 24 Feb 2014 4:18AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic