Search for content in message boards

Ludwig Krueger - Garkewitz, Kreis Lauenburg, Pommerin

Replies: 3

Re: Ludwig Krueger - Garkewitz, Kreis Lauenburg, Pommerin

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 2:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SEILS, MARTZ, KUNTZ, HAHN
I don't have any original documents, and Piesta I think you are right. That name seems to be the closest to Garkewitz. The following is what I base much of my information on, and looks like it could be verified perhaps by someone in Poland, or who knows Polish records?

Obituary that was typed out and found among his Daughter Lena's things:

August Herman Seils was born on the 20th of February, 1845, in Garkewitz, Kreis Lauenburg, Pommerin, Germany. There he spent his childhood days and grew to manhood. There he also, in early infancy, was through Holy Baptism received into fellowship with his God and Savior, whom he ever dearly loved and served all his life with signal faithfulness. There he also learned to know his God and Savior Jesus by attending the Christian Day school, and renewed his vow made in Holy Baptism on the 2nd of October, 1859, by being confirmed. The words of his confirmation Bible passage - Rev. 2.10 "be thou faithful unto death and I will give thee a crown of life", ever were a motto throughout his earthly life, and were made true in the fullest measure. He was faithful to his God.

In Germany he served his allotted time in the army. After having served as an apprenticed blacksmith in Coestlin, Germany, he came to the U.S. of America, directly to Marinette. There he stayed for a short while with his uncle, August Martz, and worked at his trade. He left Germany on the 7th of April, 1870, landed in New York on the 3rd of May and arrived in Marinette on the 8th of May. After a few months in Marinette he took up a homestead in Beaver Creek Settlement and moved out there on the 9th of October, that same year. While on the farm he sent for his parents, who came from Germany to live with him. There he also witnessed the terrible disaster of the Peshtigo fire. Here he also was united on the 18th of June, 1875, to his life companion, his true and faithful wife, Rosa Kuntz, who lives to mourn the loss of a faithful Christian husband. Here also all of his children were born and still all live.

In the year 1916, he retired from his active life on the farm and in the community and moved to the village of Pound where he has lived for the last 16 years. In 1925 the Lord permitted this couple to celebrate in the midst of their children, relatives and friends, the 50th anniversary of a happy wedded life.

In Beaver Creek Settlement he was instrumental in organizing the St. Mathew's Lutheran Congregation on the 2nd day of Pentecost, the 10th of June, 1878. He was one of the eleven charter members and the last to go to his eternal reward in glory.

The first public school in this community, before there was any school building, was conducted in his home.

In all his dealings within the church and outside with his dealings with men in general, he always gave evidence of a truly Christian spirit and of the hope that was in him. For many years he held offices of trust in the church which he helped to found and build, and which he dearly loved, until his advanced age and hearing would not permit him to do so.

The God of all mercy and grace has now taken him to Himself into the kingdom of glory where he awaits the day of Resurrection. The days of his sojourn were 87 years, 3 weeks and 4 days. He died on the 17th of March, 1932, at 5:28 A. M..

Those who live to mourn the husband and father, are his wife, Rosa Seils; six sons - Henry, Edward, William, August, Fred and Hugo; two daughters - Mrs. Lena Hahn and Emma of Milwaukee; and eleven grandchildren.

May the Lord establish the work of our hand, yea, the work of our hand may he establish. Amen

Again, anyone who can help learn more about my wife's ancestors would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Kevin Strattan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Kcascade 8 Jan 2013 10:58PM GMT 
your_roots_in... 14 Jan 2013 7:50PM GMT 
piesta 15 Jan 2013 7:20AM GMT 
Kcascade 15 Jan 2013 9:18PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions